GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m Goldwing shopping.

This month’s Rider magazine has a nice article on the Goldwing. It says that a Bluetooth headset is needed to use Apple CarPlay. Is that correct? All I want is to be able to use the map app from my iPhone. Don’t care about hearing prompts. Can I do that without a headset?

Thanks!

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
110 Posts
Carplay will not display if the bike isn't connected to a BT headset. So no headset, no Carplay, no Carplay maps.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very helpful to hear these answers.

I have a cochlear implant processor on one ear and a hearing aid on the other, both of which I take off when I put my helmet on. That’s why I will not hear any audio of any kind coming out of my helmet even if I had a set of speakers in the helmet. And I certainly won’t hear anything coming out of the speakers on the bike.

But I can enjoy and make use of whatever is on the screen.

Regarding that little wireless receiver, looks like a simple inexpensive answer. I have an apple iPhone X. How do I plug that item in but also plug into the bikes system? Thanks again.

Reactions: tclhb

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought that $15 device a few days back. You just pair it to your bike, and then turn it on -- the bike will see it and consider it a headset.

Then, you have to plug in your iphone using the USB in the front cubby.

Once the device is paired, the steps are (in order): turn on your $15 bluetooth device, turn on bike, bike will find the bluetooth device and think it has a headset plugged in, plug in phone, unlock phone, you should see the Apple Carplay menus at this point. If you don't, you have to fiddle with the ordering.

Dennis

·
Registered
412 Posts
I bought that $15 device a few days back. You just pair it to your bike, and then turn it on -- the bike will see it and consider it a headset.

Once the device is paired, the steps are (in order): turn on your $15 bluetooth device, turn on bike, bike will find the bluetooth device and think it has a headset plugged in, plug in phone, unlock phone, you should see the Apple Carplay menus at this point. If you don't, you have to fiddle with the ordering.

Dennis
Dennis,
On your phone, if you go into the Settings/General/Carplay/Honda Goldwing you can enable "Allow Carplay While Locked" you shouldn't need to unlock your phone....

Reactions: tclhb and Drgsin

·
Registered
151 Posts

Dennis
What I like to do:
Turn bike on accessory position.
Turn my Bluetooth accessory and wait a couple seconds for the icon to appear on the GW.
Have Waze (Or whatever I’m using) already open and my destination selected.
Plug my phone in the GW and select CarPlay.
Turn phone display off.
Start GW motor and away I go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some tips from others on different threads:
Don’t pair phone to GW. (BT)
Pair aux device to GW.
Many have said to turn phone Bluetooth off but in my short two weeks of ownership I have not found that step to be necessary.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really helpful. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Rheritage and tclhb

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think it is Apple’s deal that want you to be able to talk to Siri

Reactions: tclhb
1 - 10 of 10 Posts