GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the riders audio plug, $42 @ the dealer.
CB worked fine, yesterday while on a ride mic died, had no audio??
let me clarify, hit the PTT buttom & my fellow rider could not hear me.
we checked the passenger headset plug & the mic & headset work fine, so the CB works fine.
I going to remove the new riders audio port ( front plug) tomorrow & check it out.
does anyone have any other ideas what could be causing this???:shrug:
when I returned home I checked the front audio plug using a different headset & cord, & it still did not work...??:shrug: but the rear audio plug works fine..

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
Try another headset and cable on the front connection first, I know the one you have works on the rear but trust me stranger things have happened

So if you can transmit from the passenger position your CB is good you are looking at the new cable that was installed (Unlikely unless it came unplugged) do you have anything else plugged in like MIC mutes or a MIC splitter, do you have a rear passenger control with one of the attenuation filters plugged into the drivers headset, pull out the left pocket and trace the headset connection look at the plugs and wires, clean the connectors.

Put 2 headsets on the bike front and rear can you talk both ways via the intercom while you mess around with the connections

Then try swapping the passenger headset connector to the front and the front to the back

I don't think you have an audio unit issue as both headset MICs are wired together have you had the top shelter off recently?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Same thing

What CB system are you using?
I am in the midst of the same thing. Already tested and replaced headset modules that tested bad but it is definitely not that. Have new microphones on the way and I tried an old mic and it worked. My radio guy thinks it might be CB related but I don't want to disparage any unit until I get home and try the new mica. Extremely puzzling to all the engineers involved.

More to follow

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
What CB system are you using?
I am in the midst of the same thing. Already tested and replaced headset modules that tested bad but it is definitely not that. Have new microphones on the way and I tried an old mic and it worked. My radio guy thinks it might be CB related but I don't want to disparage any unit until I get home and try the new mica. Extremely puzzling to all the engineers involved.

More to follow
The OP's issue is bike related as he can transmit OK from the rear connection, so his CB is OK

I remember talking to you earlier in the year did you eventually change to one of our GL2WAY units or are you still running your OEM, don't feel you can't post which unit you have, this forum is all about support not only helping other users but it helps us as a manufacturer to learn what gets broken and to get our issues solved.

From our point of view please post if it is our unit things do go wrong with all products just so long as when we get you running you post again and tell the story

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a Honda factory CB, no mic mutes or splitter's of any kind, the plug may be have a bad connection on the harness end ?? in the left glove box.
I'm going to check that out today..
I'll keep you updated..

·
Registered
3 Posts
take your left fairing pocket out make sure the plugin for your helmet is tight if it is pull it apart and make sure nothing is damp in it or rusted i had the same problem and replaced that cord
ron

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RC
we checked all wiring for continuity, loose conections ect.
CB works now, don't know what it was???
but its fixed, wish I had an answer..
case closed !! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RC
we checked all wiring for continuity, loose conections ect.
CB works now, don't know what it was???
but its fixed, wish I had an answer..
case closed !! :thumbup:
update: Maybe just by rebooting the CB could have cured the problem :shrug:
next time I'll just pull the fuse instead of doing all that labor pulling the shell :thumbup:
all connections where "rock solid" continuity test showed all is well :shrug:
all connections where greased w/ dielectric silicone grease...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts