GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me I'm a green Newbie. I have an '08 Model. Getting ready to "pull the trigger" and buy a pair of headsets. Read the instructions and if I understand I can listen to the radio and use the intercom through the headsets by: 1 choosing the headset option from the audio button (I think). 2. Hitting the intercom button when wanting to use that function.

Please tell me if I am correct before I purchase.

Also does the push to talk button on the left side do the same thing as intercom and is basically a shortcut to the intercom?:shrug:

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
You can hear the radio through the headsets by choosing that option on the radio. The intercom is always on and you don't have to push anything to talk to the passenger or them to you. ( there are disadvantages to this at times :joke: ) The PTT button is for the optional CB.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Intercom

On my 2001 wing you have to depress the intercom button on the radio
in order for the intercom to work.

The push to talk button on the handle bar is for the cb.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Both are correct above... you do have to "turn on" the intercom system with the button on the bike, next to the CB button. Once on, the intercom is always on and you can talk to your buddy in the back all the time... the intercom has a "mute" function that can be adjusted. When the music is on, the mute function lowers the volume of the music so you can hear each other talk better. You talk, and the system automatically lowers the volume of the music...

You stop talking, and the music comes back up to it's original setting...

This can be set to lower the volume of the music a little or a lot...

Works great.:thumbup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want to turn the mic on and of with the CB button look up mic-mutes....one push they are on......one push they are off. They work great for killing wind noise when your not talking;) I have it and would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Headsets

The first post is right on, push the console button for headphones and the intercom the same.
I did have a problem once,( CB ) if you have a rear passenger remote
transmit CB button (PTT),. My wife was talking to me on the intercom and she decide to transmit on the CB with this PTT button and after her transmitted message the button stuck due to some road grit just as we ended our ride. Unbeknowing to us this locked up my display and I couldn't change channels and the volume was unresponsive at the beginning of the next ride when I discovered the problem.. :eek:4: WOW what to do! I posted a help notice here an a good hearted soul came to the rescue--so I am passing this on to anyone that listens.:yes1:

By the way, an idea. ICE
Place an entry in your cell phone of emergency contact numbers of loved ones, spouses, an home for emergency care workers/doctors/etc. in case you're alone and need assistance.

(In Case of Emergency) I.C.E. Spouse ; I.C.E. Home; etc

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both are correct above... you do have to "turn on" the intercom system with the button on the bike, next to the CB button. Once on, the intercom is always on and you can talk to your buddy in the back all the time... the intercom has a "mute" function that can be adjusted. When the music is on, the mute function lowers the volume of the music so you can hear each other talk better. You talk, and the system automatically lowers the volume of the music...

You stop talking, and the music comes back up to it's original setting...

This can be set to lower the volume of the music a little or a lot...

Works great.:thumbup:
Thanks, that is the piece of the puzzle I was looking for. I knew you shouldn't have to go back and forth between radio and intercom. You would be constantly pressing buttons. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts