Votes: 0 0.0%
  • J & M ELITE

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question. If they were free, which would you put in your helmet?
The Edset premium headsets or the J & M Elite? I have the J& M Elite and want something better, but have not heard or tried the Edsets. I am leaning toward taking a pair of regular headpnones and splicing and dicing because I think they may sound better than either.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have two sets of Ed -Sets. The microphones on the Ed-Sets SUCK. The speakers on the Ed-sets are EXCELENT. To deal with ED, he is totaly first class. He really stands behind his product. I also have two sets up JM's best headsets. The microphones are EXCELENT they are the best in their class. But their speakers SUCK. They are a bigger company and sometimes can be a pain in the ass to deal with. But for the most part they pretty much get the job done. I use the ED-sets more than the JM sets. I have XM radio, and am concerned about sound quality. Sorry if I totaly confused you.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
We both have J & M Elite and couldn't be more happy. The trick is to get the ear pieces almost touching your ears but not quite. Also they need to be in the right position. When you do this, you can turn down the sound level quite a bit.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have two sets of the Edsets. I have "no" problem with any of the components. I like the fact that they are modular, making for simple replacement or upgrade.

:lol:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I just installed Edsets in both mine and my wife's helmets. Had J&M....not the Elites, but they were ok, but had the dreaded clamp. I hate the clamp!!

Anyway I really am liking the Edsets. I'm thinking the speakers are not quite situated correctly because the volume is less than before, but I think it will get where I need/want it. I Like the mic, and the modularity of the whole design. I thought I would not like the short cable coming out of the helmet, and it is more difficult to hook up.....I expect that to become much easier as time goes on. Neither provide a fabulous "can do without" sound, but I don;'t believe that will come from any set for a long time. Maybe the earbuds are better I don't know.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've got both. Actually prefer the J&M because the EdSets are a pain to get the speakers situated. They have to be right against your ear to get the volume out of them. In my case the cover rubs my ear something fierce after a few hours of riding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Big fan of the Edsets. You do have to get the speakers just right but for me that's just 2 seconds for each ear every time I put the helmet on. Just minor adjusting 'cause they move out of place when the helmet goes on. No one complains about the microphone either. Truckers are amazed they are talking to a motorcyclist...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Would have to disagree with Wolfer's assessment of J&M's customer service. I have always found it first rate and they haven't really cared whether the item was in warranty or not. I have had two speakers replaced and one cord connector replaced at no charge, on three separate occasions. Other than that I have both and like both.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've had both , both are excellent for warranty and cust. service but Ed-Sets are better.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
steve s said:
I just installed Edsets in both mine and my wife's helmets. Had J&M....not the Elites, but they were ok, but had the dreaded clamp. I hate the clamp!!

Anyway I really am liking the Edsets. I'm thinking the speakers are not quite situated correctly because the volume is less than before, but I think it will get where I need/want it. I Like the mic, and the modularity of the whole design. I thought I would not like the short cable coming out of the helmet, and it is more difficult to hook up.....I expect that to become much easier as time goes on. Neither provide a fabulous "can do without" sound, but I don;'t believe that will come from any set for a long time. Maybe the earbuds are better I don't know.
Steve,
First of all let me get this part outta the way: I have tryed multiple times to resolve this volume issue through the manufacturer support and suggestions, nada so far. Please do me a favor and let me know if you get your volume issue resolved. I too have been trying to get mine to an acceptable performance level. I even removed them and placed directly to my ears and must have them cranked low to mid 20's to be at a decent volume. (My hearing is normal BTW) and I've adjusted on every audio feature and control with very limited results. No mutes are on, AVC and ambience are off. Our bikes are the same year model etc. and thought it might have to do with the premuim audio setup?? Well I don't want to thrash on this thing anymore. Perhaps I just expect to much out of the speakers. So far I'm dissapointed with mine. If I ever do get an improvement I'll post it and renouce my former comments. :cry: Terry

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Teaser are you listening to XM,FM or an IOPD? If an IPOD make sure its volume is all the way up(if hardwired)

·
Registered
939 Posts
We have 3 sets of J&M and are happy with them. I have no experience with Edsets. Whenever I have had a problem with the J&M sets I send in the faulty component and it is replaced at no charge.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
...I have tryed multiple times to resolve this volume issue through the manufacturer support and suggestions, nada so far.
... something just seems not right ...
other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.

I have 07 with Premium Sound.
Had Chatterbox before
... ok for talking (barely)
... not ok (hugely) for music or anything else (GPS).

Now have EdSet.
Much better for talking
...intercom vol for Chatterbox was 12-13.
...intercom vol for EdSet now about 6-7.
... only tried music a few times with Chatterbox, settings to 25 no help.
... mp3 music with EdSet is very good at about 15 (I have autovol and amb turned on)
... radio music level depends on how strong the staion is, 18-20 is usually more than enough
....... I'd prefer about 19-20 for mp3 music but SO says that's too loud for her.
(my left ear is not so good anymore)
....... yesterday, I ordered two AirRider in line volume controls so we can each have it our own way
(wish EdSet offered in line vol control as option but since his cord uplugs at both ends I'm hoping I can replace his cord with the AirRider cord.)

bottom line, I can really crank up the volume way more than I need to.

The only "quirk" I've noticed so far is that intercom "seems" to get much louder when I close the face shield all the way on my Nolan.
... not her voice, but MY voice gets much louder
... I think the faceplate mounted mic may be amplifying some of the sound coming from my own headsets.

overall, I'm very happy with the EdSet and Nolan setup.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
[quote="steve s":1miuk605]I just installed Edsets in both mine and my wife's helmets. Had J&M....not the Elites, but they were ok, but had the dreaded clamp. I hate the clamp!!

Steve,
First of all let me get this part outta the way: I have tryed multiple times to resolve this volume issue through the manufacturer support and suggestions, nada so far. Please do me a favor and let me know if you get your volume issue resolved. I too have been trying to get mine to an acceptable performance level. I even removed them and placed directly to my ears and must have them cranked low to mid 20's to be at a decent volume. (My hearing is normal BTW) and I've adjusted on every audio feature and control with very limited results. No mutes are on, AVC and ambience are off. Our bikes are the same year model etc. and thought it might have to do with the premuim audio setup?? Well I don't want to thrash on this thing anymore. Perhaps I just expect to much out of the speakers. So far I'm dissapointed with mine. If I ever do get an improvement I'll post it and renouce my former comments. :cry: Terry
[/quote:1miuk605]

Terry, I'm with you. I have to have my volume at 21-24 to hear it very well at about 60-70 mph. I don't think i expect too much cause I had better sound with the middle of the road J&M's. So I will keep testing until I get what I feel I should be able to expect. I do like the mic better and that seems to work better in the intercomm. The wife agrees.

I have only taken three rides or so since my installation. I put mine in my N42(Nolan).....it has no openings for the ears, and I had to dremel out pockets for the J&M's. I just put the Edsets inthe same openings for now cause it appeared that would be fine......but apparently not. the wife has a N102 which has pockets, and she says hers sounds fine, and better than the J&M's?????? I don't know what to think of that. I can barely squeeze my head in her helmet so I'll try hers out to compare to mine. Maybe it's a open face compared to closed face thing????
I'll keep you posted when I get to a solution.......and I certainly hope I do get to a solution.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
steve s said:
[quote="Teaser 1":2i3ujyn7][quote="steve s":2i3ujyn7]I just installed Edsets in both mine and my wife's helmets. Had J&M....not the Elites, but they were ok, but had the dreaded clamp. I hate the clamp!!

Steve,
[/quote:2i3ujyn7]

Terry, I'm with you. I have to have my volume at 21-24 to hear it very well at about 60-70 mph. I don't think i expect too much cause I had better sound with the middle of the road J&M's. So I will keep testing until I get what I feel I should be able to expect. I do like the mic better and that seems to work better in the intercomm. The wife agrees.

I have only taken three rides or so since my installation. I put mine in my N42(Nolan).....it has no openings for the ears, and I had to dremel out pockets for the J&M's. I just put the Edsets inthe same openings for now cause it appeared that would be fine......but apparently not. the wife has a N102 which has pockets, and she says hers sounds fine, and better than the J&M's?????? I don't know what to think of that. I can barely squeeze my head in her helmet so I'll try hers out to compare to mine. Maybe it's a open face compared to closed face thing????
I'll keep you posted when I get to a solution.......and I certainly hope I do get to a solution.[/quote:2i3ujyn7]
Steve s wrote:
Maybe it's a open face compared to closed face thing???? I don't think so Steve both of mine are fullface helmets, thanks though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Laen you talked me into the J&M Elite a couple of weeks ago.
I just got'em last week and I like them so far. ($400) :roll:
Thats for Darlene and mine. :D :D

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EX-HUNK said:
Laen you talked me into the J&M Elite a couple of weeks ago.
I just got'em last week and I like them so far. ($400) :roll:
Thats for Darlene and mine. :D :D
Ex Hunk I dont have the J&M Elites I have the mid line. Yours sound better

·
Registered
123 Posts
Laen I think just for grins I'll check out some Bose sound speaker
next. But for this summer I'll try these Elite's.
I road to day for a while. :D :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts