GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2004 GW and have no sound thru the headset. Had the bike about a month and just hooked up today. Looked thru the manual, and have looked at the connection under the left cover. What’s odd is I can tap on a speaker for one, and hear the tapping thru the other. No other sound. Pretty base model with am/fm radio only, no cd or cb. Plays great thru the speakers.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You know that on the fairing lower left, near your left knee are an assortment of buttons. The upper left one says AUDIO. With your helmet on, push that button once and see if your helmet speakers work now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pushed the button, got the headset pic on the dash. Going to try to get to a friend that has an 05 and see if they work on his. I have read that these can have the headset amp go bad?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
He's got an 04, the audio controls should still be on the shelter, above the fuel door. Select FM1 or 2, tune a channel, and push the audio button on the top left side. A set of headphones should appear on your display. That will direct the sound through the headset speakers. Pushing that audio button again will direct the sound through the external speakers. Check the mute button on the left handle bar switches and make sure it's out. To verify your headset is working, turn on the intercom by selecting the intercom button, intercom will appear on the display screen. The intercom volume is controlled by pushing down on the stereo volume control knob once, then turning the knob to increase or decrease volume. To control the intercom mute feature, push down on the volume control knob twice and turn the knob. The higher the number, the more the stereo volume is muted when you talk on the intercom. The lower the number, the less it mutes. Once you verify the headsets are working correctly, adjust those audio features and the music should come through the headsets. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's got an 04, the audio controls should still be on the shelter, above the fuel door. Select FM1 or 2, tune a channel, and push the audio button on the top left side. A set of headphones should appear on your display. That will direct the sound through the headset speakers. Pushing that audio button again will direct the sound through the external speakers. Check the mute button on the left handle bar switches and make sure it's out. To verify your headset is working, turn on the intercom by selecting the intercom button, intercom will appear on the display screen. The intercom volume is controlled by pushing down on the stereo volume control knob once, then turning the knob to increase or decrease volume. To control the intercom mute feature, push down on the volume control knob twice and turn the knob. The higher the number, the more the stereo volume is muted when you talk on the intercom. The lower the number, the less it mutes. Once you verify the headsets are working correctly, adjust those audio features and the music should come through the headsets. Good luck
Yep, done all that. Still nothing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You didnt say what brand of headset but it's not unusual for a pin to bend or a wire to break in the headset cable. Definitely try your headset on a known working bike before you go tearing into the bike.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Have a 2004 GW and have no sound thru the headset. Had the bike about a month and just hooked up today. Looked thru the manual, and have looked at the connection under the left cover. What’s odd is I can tap on a speaker for one, and hear the tapping thru the other. No other sound. Pretty base model with am/fm radio only, no cd or cb. Plays great thru the speakers.
Larry can fix it. https://wingconnect.com/ :grin2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, went and checked them on another bike......and they worked, so issue is my system somewhere. May just sell the headsets and go with blue tooth, or just keep the ear piece plugged into the phone and turn up the radio a bit :) Thanks for the inputs. May get a hold of that guy that fixes these things, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also.. if you have a passenger PTT button in the passenger seating area, and the one on the handlebar controls.. just check those aren't causing a problem.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well, went and checked them on another bike......and they worked, so issue is my system somewhere. May just sell the headsets and go with blue tooth, or just keep the ear piece plugged into the phone and turn up the radio a bit :) Thanks for the inputs. May get a hold of that guy that fixes these things, too.
The bluetooth may not work either - the "basic" audio is still bike based. Did the other bike owner check his headset on your bike? Bluetooth simply replaces the HEADSETS and needs to connect to the bike audio. I don't have a bluetooth setup but from the forum (I think) you need freewire to link from the audio plug to transmit to the bluetooth headset.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Probably not very likely, but the pig tails coming out of the bike could be bad. I’ve had to replace several over the years.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Larry at WingConnect can fix it and improve the speaker output and quality. Check out his upgrade options, they’re pretty reasonable. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Don't forget to try swapping headsets and lower cords. one or both can go bad. Also, try to check if anything works through the headsets. CB(if you have one) and intercom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts