GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, So far I'm slightly disappointed in my JM headsets.
They work fine, but the speaker dynamics, bass response and ability to position the speakers within helmet has left a sour taste.
I've tried to place the speakers in direct alignment with the ear canals (as per J&M), but the speaker diameter prevents this. They hit cheek padding, so they are slightly higher and a little rearward. So I'm assuming this is the reason they don't sound very good.
My thought was to take my sons Sony stereo headsets :eek:4:, which sound great, and remove the smaller diameter speaker. unsolder the JM and replace with these. The smaller diameter should allow better placement within the helmet and I think they will sound much better.
Are there Any negatives that I'm here missing here?
If this has been done with negative results please chime in before I screw up.
Other than my son being upset, I don't see a downside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
speakers

I did a little more experimenting and have come to the conclusion that the speakers are fine (JM). The main problem is their overall diameter. They are too large to align properly with the ear canal. The foam is impeding on their placement. I need to either push the foam back or get smaller speakers.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
You may want to take a look at EdSets (www.edsets.com).
They have great quality speakers and they are smaller than the J&M.
I had the J&M and went to the EdSets and I'm very happy.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You may want to take a look at EdSets (www.edsets.com).
They have great quality speakers and they are smaller than the J&M.
I had the J&M and went to the EdSets and I'm very happy.
You can get the Edset speakers separate and wire them into the J & M harness. Ed sell just about everything separate. These new speaker for the 3G setup are great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive got two helmets with the J&M headsets but I replaced the speakers with edsets. Much smaller and easier to place. J&M does offer a smaller speaker but they list on their site for $38 each. Way too much for a small speaker.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It might be the impedance of your Son's headphones is different as compared to the J&M [8 ohms vs 4 or even 2 ohm]. Also, speaker sensitivity [output volume as a function of input signal] may be different. If it's better then I'd think it's a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts