GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Caberg Flip face helmet and J&M 584 top of the line (for them) headset. I was VERY careful about what I have read on this great site about makeing sure the alighnment of the Speaker and the closeness to my ear the speaker is when installing the heaset into the helment.

All excited I went to the bike and plugged it all in and the volume coming out of the headset is very weak. Not haveing a headset for the bike before I could set the volume at 14 to 15 and through the external speakers with a full face helment, I could here the tunes very well. I have to put the volume to 22 to 24 (damn near all the way up) to get good volume out of the headset speakers. Also the quality of sound is really not all that good either. Can this be normal or am I missing something???? I mean really I paid almost 200.00 buck for this headset My Bose headset for the IPOD was only a little more then this.

I saw a couple of other post on this issue but no real answer...sorry if this is repeat question.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That happened to me once. I had accidentally pushed my mute button in while cleaning and it took me awile to figure it out. Other than that, I don't have any ideas. Sorry

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish the answer was that easy Roy thanks for the thoughts though. I did go check just to make sure...lol

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
They are full of it-you need 20 on the headsets for any volume. My mute is not on. These old farts don't like it loud,I do. I am ready to trash my premium J & M and splice in some Grado SR80 headsets which BLOW it away on my IPOD into my helmet. 8)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one out there has any ideas about this, could it be that there is a seperate volume control for the headset that can be turned up or adjusted.

G

·
0 Posts
How far are your ears from the speakers? Are all the pins fully connected? I still run mine at 14 sometimes depending on windage. You might ask on the Tech Board as some there may have some insight. J

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jimmy, I was very carefule to put the speakers in the EPS foam right next to were my ears fit to the helment. Plus I didn't bury them into the styrofoam either, they are flush with the shell of the styrofoam setting them right up next to my ear.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Are you using intercom also? If so, check that your mute setting isn't too high. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I am an absolute beginner at this, but I put the Honda headsets in and they have a ton of volume.

Have you tried plugging into to the passenger point?
Was it any better? Check the intercom switch is off, it may be activating the mute for some reason.

Hope you have some luck with it.

Trev.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you figure it out please post the result. I have had a similar problem. I have the J+M headsets. For a year and a half I had the volume at 6 to 10. All of a sudden I have to set it at 10 to 15. I think it may be the same problem as yours.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I tried using the passenger jack-- no differance. I plugged the ipod into the aux port and I got good volume there albeit not mind blowing but it was still louder. I think the headset speakers are limiting the volume. Also when I turn it up all the way the speakers get more distorted which I would somewhat expect but if you have to turn it up this high to cruise down the road not to sure I am going to be happy with it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm using EdSets, but that shouldn't make any difference. I tried them before installing by connecting everything and plugging it into the bike and holding the speakers lightly against my ears. I now had a basis for comparison. On my first install, I didn't do a very good job. Usually had to set the volume 15-19. Did a re-install a few months later making sure that I had the speakers centered and lightly touching my ears. Now I rarely have to set the volume over 10.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
We have J&M 477 series headsets and I have the music volume normally set between 9 and 12 and my wife has an inline volume control to lower the sound further to her liking. If you have the upper end J&M headsets there are individual connectors to each componet, make sure they are all connected tightly. Also ensure your connection the the helmet, upper and lower cords and to the Wing are seated. The connection to the Wing can be a bit tough to get seated fully with some of the connectors. You might need to put a touch of silicone lubricant to help them seat correctly. You should not have to turn the music above 15 for your headsets and it should be crystal clear.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Do you have the auto Volume Control, or the AMB on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK I got this fixed. All I can say is although I thought I was sure I had my speakers set close enough to my ears they were positioned about 3/8th of an inch to high. Believe it or not, I lowered the speakers that 3/8th of an inch and got them as DIRECTLY over my ears as I could and now I have the volume I was somewhat expecting. Hard to believe these speakers literally have to be IN your ear for them to work right. Meaning the CENTER of the speaker. I had the lower half of the speaker covering my ear before. Now I am happy :lol: :D :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
:clap2: :yes1:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kikker,

The speakers have to be EXACTLY over your ear. Take the headset out of the helment and plug it in. Hold the speakers over your ears and you should notice the volume to be real good. I have found these speakers to very directional. You have to place the speakers in the helment were they will end up right over the top of your ear. and don't bury them into the inner shell of the helment.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
J&m ear pieces leave a lot of improvement. What I did was buy a set of Koss head sets cut off the ear phones and replaced J&M's. sodered the wires together,heat shrink and walla 1000 percent better. clearer voice on the C.B.. The music you won't believe me how much better. It is like listing threw headphones on your home stereo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts