GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a set of headsets. I realize this is like asking which is faster, Black Cherry or one of the other colors. After talking to Ed (Edsets) and the folks a Seira, I thought I would come to the board for more information. Since most of you have owned at least one type or another and love to share your opinions, What are the differences between Edsets and J&M?

I know the Edsets are a little less expensive but what is the primary difference between J&M and Edsets or is there another brand to throw into the mix.

Thanks for the information
Rusty

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sorry I have no info for your direct question, but I do use the J&M, and have researched all of them. Here's my take......the J&M are fine, but I have the clamp on style, and I don't like the clamp. The Edsets look good, and have no clamp, but I think the pigtail from the headset should be longer to be easily hooked up. I have no experience with this, so it may in fact be easy enough. The Air Rider has no clamp, and a longer pigtail. I'm thinking about going with them, even though they cost the most.

It's a shame that J&M won't sell (as far as I can tell) the clampless headset so we can install them ourselves. I guess they think no one can drill a silly hole in a helmet. I don't understand their "we have to install it" attitude. Plus they're $250.00 to get installed after you ship your helmet to them in AZ.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Check out the IMC headsets from Whitehorse Press and Sierra. Wing headsets are $95 and the sound is quite good, with music reproduction rivaling home units.

David M.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have the Edsets for our open face helmets,and really enjoy them.They are the modular type,so that you only have to replace the part,that may malfunction.
My connection at the helmet to the cable,broke,and Ed sent me a new one,at no cost and very quickly.Enjoy the product and the service.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ed Sets all the way!
I had J&Ms on my 1200 (granted an older model so I can't compare directly to todays offerings). The Ed Sets can be turned up much louder without distortion, and Ed stands behind his stuff (No matter how old it is).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok. Since I am also in the market for another headset (just bought a second helmet), where can I find Ed Sets?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Head sets

Please don't waste your money on Chatterbox sets.
I used three sets within six months before switching to EDSETS.
Based on the quality of the sound, almost non existant wind noise at highway speeds, service, and communication, I will continue to use EDSETS. Have not used any other sets.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Going on my fourth year with two sets of J&M, each set in two different helmets, installed by moi. All is well and I would recommend them.

·
Banned
716 Posts
headsets

I have J&M and Edsets. I prefer the J&M d/t ease of adjusting the mike. I can't tell the difference in the sound.

J

·
0 Posts
I own two sets of J&M in HJC (which will be changed to Ed Sets)and two Ed Sets which are in Shoei X11 full face helmets.

This is most of what I wrote in another topic thread:

"I really feel bad about knocking J&M, but I will not go back to J&M until they change their equipment and connections. J&M has no excuse as they have been in this game probably longer than anyone and they still insist on using a sorry lower cord connection, that comes loose and pins bend. I cannot ride for more than 10 minutes without worrying about the connection and I have tried most things reasonable to fix it, glue, tape, you name it. My hearing is not normal and perhaps some normal folks can make them work but when we changed to Ed Sets there is no comparision. We can not understand our riding buddie's transmissions with the J&M and they are crystal clear with the Ed Sets. With the J&M my connection is always coming loose and occasionally so does my SO's. The silly lower cords are horrible PERIOD! It's your money and J&M cost twice as much for less than half the performance, IM less than HO."

·
Registered
600 Posts
Trapshooter said:
I am looking to purchase a set of headsets. I realize this is like asking which is faster, Black Cherry or one of the other colors. After talking to Ed (Edsets) and the folks a Seira, I thought I would come to the board for more information. Since most of you have owned at least one type or another and love to share your opinions, What are the differences between Edsets and J&M?

I know the Edsets are a little less expensive but what is the primary difference between J&M and Edsets or is there another brand to throw into the mix.

Thanks for the information
Rusty
Rusty,

Based upon price, quality, reviews on this and other forums, and correspondence with Ed, I chose to go with the Edsets. I just installed two sets in my wife's and my modular helmets. Install was straightforward and simple. I tested them in my garage and the sound quality was much better than my previous headset.

The order process was a no brainer and the items were delivered in a timely fashion without problem.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts