GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those that know me, know that for the past 20 years riding Wings, I have never used the intercomm or had a CB. Well, I've about decided that I'm tired of all ya'll talking about me, laughing and polking fun.

What is the best headsets for the intercomm and CB? I like to listen to my music through the 4 EC speakers and amp.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You'll get an opinion about every brand on the market, good or bad, on this subject. Let me start you out by saying I prefer the Air Rider. It has great sound, no interference from anything on the bike and I have NO wind noise coming through the mike like a lot of people are experiencing. And their service is unbeatable. I had a speaker in my helmet go bad and I was told to send it back and they would fix it and send it out the next day. Well, instead, I got a whole new headset at NO charge. Pretty hard to beat that. Before the Air Rider's, I had J&M, but I'll admit they were 5 years old. They've improved greatly since I had them and that is the only comparison I can make. Sort of like comparing apples to oranges. If you can, listen to the headsets at a rally where they are setup and make your choice. Everybody is different as well as the headsets.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Air Rider is my vote.
Had them for years with no problems.
Just got a new set and had the first ride yesterday. Even better than before. No longer has the in line battery.
TR

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I'm very happy with our Chatterbox units. They don't look as nice but much less expensive. When you get them close to your ears they are fine. Many like to replace the speakers with Sony or Koss, but they sound great to me. http://[email protected]/ What really help are these "donuts." They really do make a difference [once I figured out how they attach.] Keep out noise and focus the speaker sound. At 75 mph, volume is set at 12 or 13. Low intercom volume also. Get them no matter which head sets you get. [I think they're standard with J & M.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... D=SPDK-900

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Steve (headset virgin),

Going your FIRST time, can leave a mark on you, for a lifetime.

You can't go wrong with the top of the line J&M or Airrider Comm 4.

I don't think that there is any headset that will give you Quality Music sound over the headset while riding. I use my speakers for that as well.

Your So and riding buddies will thank you for this move.

If your first experience is traumatic, join us on Wednesday nights for Counselling...LOL

Good Luck with your choice. Remember that half of the problem is a quality set, and the other half is the fitments.

Bulldog

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Headsets? - Bet you thought you would never hear me ask

Steve_Aylor said:
What is the best headsets for the intercomm and CB?
I have to agree with ddking, the chatterbox are excellent regardless of the price. I know it is very common to judge quality by price but I use a Bose headset ($900/per) in my son's plane and the chatterbox are every bit as good for the intercom between my wife and I on the wing.

I don't have the cb so can't say on that.

Thse guys do a good deal on two sets for $75 each plus $10 shipping.

http://www.mc-accessories.com/ChatterboxCBHeadset.htm

FTW

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
For intercom and CB use I don't think it matters much. J&M has econo sets available for $79 complete with cords per set.

I've owned many J&M sets over the years and that is the only way I would go. If you buy the cheap J&M and you don't like them for some reason, you can get most of your money back quick!

Which tire, which oil, which color, are questions there is no real answer for. I just like the service I have gotten from my J&M units and the service from the company itself!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have got to agree with Red on the J&M. I have been using the same set since 1990 and on 5 differn't bikes. I would say I have gotten my money out of them. While moving the headset from one helmet to another I broke one of the clips that clamp onto the helmet and J&M sent me what I needed at N/C......

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I would agree about the J&M,s. I particularly like the new modular style, so if you change helmet styles (open face to full face or flip front or shorty) the only thing you have to change is the microphone. And I have had good luck with their service department, the two times I have used it (in ten years).

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
We're all gonna talk about you anyway Steve.

It turns out it wasn't really the headse thing after all :D

One of my favorite things about riding is that I don't have to talk to anybody, and better yet, I don't have to LISTEN to anybody. :twisted:

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
I'll probably be looked upon as the oddball of the group, but what the hell...someone has to garner that honor. Had the CB on my 1500 and also on other bikes and just got tired of all the useless jabber all the time. Don't have a CB on my 1800 or headsets and to be very honest it is very refreshing. I enjoy the ride much better, see more scenery, and seem to be able to clear the cobwebs out of my head. Just my opinion, and works for me better.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Steve for the use you have described CB and intercom Chatterbox and J&M both work great. I own Chatterbox and they have worked trouble free for 2 years, but now that J&M has a $80 headset might have to flip a coin to make the decision. I normally listen to the FM through the external speakers.

2,732 Posts
Would 2nd Air Rider's as the choice top of the line...

I have Air Riders for both my wife and my Schuberth flip front helmets and if something happened to them, wouldn't even have a 2nd thought about replacing them with the same product. I had a problem with one resulting from installation (not a product failure) and sent the whole helmet in and they replaced the whole mechanism for free and sent it back to me in 24 hours. Also had a battery cover fall off (my fault again for not completely snapping it back on) and after calling Air Rider, they sent a new part "no charge" with their compliments! In today's world of profit driven decisions (I have no problem with that by the way), it's awfully nice to have a company like Air Rider around. :yw1:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Steve ... we'll still talk about you ... we'll just switch to a diffetrent channel ... LOL.
I retired my 18 year old J&M's (actually gave them to my BIL) and went to Air Riders. Not sorry.
I use mine for listening to the radio/mp3 player mostly, intercom when my wife deigns to ride, CB when in a group ride. I use the outside speakers only when the Crush is parked in my driveway and I'm cleaning and polishing. I abhor loud music and have never managed to figure out how to use the outside speakers without worrying about NOISE pollution.
Since I listen with the radio volume at 10 and the intercom at 7 ... I'm likely not getting the absolute best sound in the world ... but I ride the bike for the joy of the road ... not for the symphony hall effect.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I suggest a serious look at "EdSets" via a fellow GL1800 rider - Ed Davis, aka "Blues-Player" [[email protected]]. I've had numeruous J&M products (OK, but pricey) and several others over the years. EdSets are a truly high quality product that perform very well, are VERY well-supported, and are produced by a fellow winger. At least check-em out at http://bluzplayer.biz/EdSets/. Good Luck!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Steve

Steve, I'm with th oddball group. I aint got no CB or intercom. I still communicate with hand signals. I git ah kick outta th stereo blastin. This weekend i pulled into ah gas station with th raido on 30 to ta th tune of SHAKE IT, SHAKE IT,SHAKE IT LIKA POLAROID PICTURE! th look on th woman's face at th pump was priceless :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I never had an intercom until I got the GL1800... man is it nice. Was just like I had a little voice in my head.

My helmets came with J&M headsets in them, never used anything else, but they sound good to me.

I sat on the fence for a long time on the CB issue. I was determined I wasn't going to pay $700 for some 50's era technology! Looked in to the handhelds on the handlebars, but I finally said the hell with it, I didn't pay all this money for my wing to have some rigged up crap on the handlebars, so I bit the bullet and got the Honda CB.

While I still feel the price is rediculous, the integration makes it the best way to go. It is very nice to be able to key the mike while leaned into a curve with the the move of a finger.

I'm glad I got one, has been nice to be included in the conversations on group rides. I guess I have been lucky and not ridden with a bunch of chatty folk, because every time I have used it, it has complimented the ride, not taken away from it. Makes coordinating gas/chow stops so much easier.

And I really can't wait to get home and put the E/C amp & Polk speakers in!! I wanna rock too 8)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Steve, we switched from J&Ms to Air Riders last year. Love 'em!
Great music sound and less wind noise.

Come by my house and you can borrow my helmet to check 'em out.

JB

·
Registered
167 Posts
Steve, I've been useing Air Riders since they first came out with the sliders for volume & out put in the cords ( years ). I Have had every model since then & have never regretted it. Service is great when needed & you don't have the two piece cords like J & M that one or the other always need repairs.
Welcome to the 21st century, Larry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts