GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how many use headsets to listen to the sound system, and how many use the speakers on the bike. I'm also interested in why you made that choice.
Personally, I use a headset. I know how much it bothers me when a teenager drives down the street with their stereo blasting, and I'd expect that I'd be bothering someone else by using the bike speakers.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Couldn't agree more, the only time I use the speakers is in my garage while working on or cleaning the bike. I hate listening to other peoples music, but it's becoming an epidemic!!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Silverback said:
I'm curious how many use headsets to listen to the sound system, and how many use the speakers on the bike. I'm also interested in why you made that choice.
Personally, I use a headset. I know how much it bothers me when a teenager drives down the street with their stereo blasting, and I'd expect that I'd be bothering someone else by using the bike speakers.
What are your thoughts?
Although consideration for others factored into my decision to use headsets, the big reason is that I could hardly hear my speakers at highway speeds.

Jazz and classical music sound terrible blasting at the volumes necessary to hear it. :shock:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Headsets for me as well, until that is, when some young whippersnapper pulls up with the base blasting. Then, I smile and share with them a little of the power of my goldwing external sound system. Funny how many windows I have rolled up with me, the goldwing and some of my country friends. Wonder if my singing along had anything to do with it? If I could only take my bike on stage with me to one of those American Idol things I could be a star! NOT! :wink:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
BOTH !!...I love em both!!...At slower speeds, I listen to the speakers ( All 4 of them ),,Usually I listen to the headseat on the freeway( or Highway,,whichever it is supposed to be ),,,but sonetimes I listen to the 4 speakers on the freeway too....it all depends on my mood.....it sounds great either way I listen......Just don't turn it up so loud that you can't hear that siren approaching!!!..or that cage squealing it's skidding tires!!..Here is something good I found out about the other day...my son and I were at an intersection( stopped ) with the stereo on ( the 4 speakers), we had our intercom on,,,,and through his microphone,,I could hear tires squealing !!!..I look in my mirror and see a truck ( small pick up), skidding sideways going into the other lane. If the mic wasn't on, I may not have heard him because the stereo was on !!!!.So I turned and looked at the idiot (he was about 10 feet away from me),and he was laughing like it was funny !!!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Speakers

Headsets around town, speakers on the highway, nothing in the twisties.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Headsets

·
Registered
86 Posts
I wear a 3/4 Arai with the J&M speakers. My wife wears a 1/2 KBC with the J&M speakers in the "flaps" that extend from side of helmet. I prefer the headset and she prefers the speakers because of the difference in helmets and the wind interference because of the 1/2 helmet. What is interesting is tha if I turn up the volume on the speakers where she likes to hear it, the volume actually hurt my ears. The sound reverberates thru my helmet to the point it is painful.

The headset speakers work much better with a full or 3/4 helmet than a 1/2 helmet and I think the driver/passenger positon also impacts the sound. I have a Tulas x-tall windshield that pretty much blocks all wind from me but not her. I am still surprised how much the windflow "wraps" around me and buffets her. She gets hit with a surprising amount of wind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Speakers or Headsets

Without a doubt headsets. I had the Starcom1 in my helmet with the FJR and when I bought the Wing last month I bought the J&M Headsets for me and my wife. J&M is a much better headset and the headsets make it sound soooo much better than the bike speakes at highway speeds.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Speakers all the time. I have the top of the line J&M Headset and I think the music sounds terrible through it. The Premium Audio package just sounds too good.

I was also a teen with a loud car stereo. It doesn't bother me when people with loud stereos go by.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just purchased the Edsets and they are great, but I like the bikes sound system better. I can hear all four speakers with the bike system at any speed. It almost sounds like surround sound. You also lose the AMB feature with the headset. I bought the Edsets mainly for ICOM with the SO. We've yet to try it out. While playing with it in the garage, I was delighted to notice how the music volume is automatically reduced when you talk. I didn't realize that feature was incorporated in the system. learn something everyday. 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
For music I use the Speakers 100% of the time. First off, the clarity of either my J&M's or my Airriders are just not that good. Secondly, after hours of riding with the music directly in the ears, becomes distracting to me. I get the deer in the headlights mentality and can not hear those sounds that might be useful to me while riding ie. an F-16 coming up my tailpipe on a strafing mission.

However the CB, GPS are always in my headset.

If you want to have fun with guys that run their CB's on the speakers, wait till one of your buds comes to a stop in a cross walk with people waiting to cross. Say something inappropriate on your CB. Just make sure the sound is coming from his bike...LOL

I never did this, just heard about it...LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Speakers in town, headsets at speed. In town I can hear external sounds (sirens, skidding tires etc) easier with the bike on speakers. We have the J&M 477 (top of the line in 2005) series headsets that reproduce the music very well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
speakers on the road and while sitting at a gathering, I tend to listen to alot of books on tape and that goes into the headset.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
i used to listen to mostly the outside speakers but after a year or 2 of having headsets gradually switched to almost never using the outside speakers

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Headsets.. Sounds better and doesn't inflict my musical taste on the public..

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Headsets - No speakers on the planet can match the sound quality of headsets considering all the noise going on around us.

And yeah, I don't think people around me care to hear my personal music selection.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts