GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase 2 shoei rf-1000 full face helmets and would like to have either J&M or Edsets headsets installed. Is there someone who sells this helmet with headsets preinstalled? Am I wasting my money having someone install the headsets for me? Not sure how difficult it is to install headsets in a helmet. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It's an easy install, I would go with the Edsets, mine are over 3 years old and going strong.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It is not at all difficult to install headsets into any helmet. They charge you up to a couple hundred dollars for that, and only takes a few minutes.

All of them come with some good instructions, some helmets you do need to cut a small slit on the left side to slip the clamp up into and grip the shell of the helmet.

You can do it.

Kit

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have that helmet..and love it ! I installed mine in about 1.5 hrs , taking my time ...it was easy.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I use a Shoei 1000 with JM Elites. Sound is OK. I have not heard the EdSets but I do not like the junky looking cable attachment.

The install on the Shoei is easy. Popsickle stick aids in shoving the wire in the helmet and I used an exacto knive digging out helmet foam for a flush speaker install

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies,I may try the install myself. If anyone has bought a helmet with the audio preinstalled, who did you buy it from and how did it work out? What brand of headsets do most use and why? Is Edsets or J&M best for audio? Thanks again to everyone for all the responses.
Dave

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ive got a Shoei RF1000 and a Shoei RJ Platnium with a J&M setup but Im using edsets speakers. I didnt like the size of the J&M speakers and how much material I had to take out of the RF1000 to make them fit. The edsets sound just fine to me. They are easy enough to do yourself, just take your time.

Edit: Just went on the Sierra website and priced the RF1000 with the Elite headset. Might seem expensive overall, but its a very good price.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ed Sets all the way... can't beat the sound quality and customer service... Ed is a truly stand up guy.

Melissa

·
Registered
306 Posts
RF1000 with Edsets for over 2 1/2 years with zero problems. No cutting of the helmet and install took about 20 minutes for 2 helmets. Super easy and the quality cannot be beat. And the customer service is top notch as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems a few of you are impressed with the Edset sound quality compared to the J&M. What model Edset is best? The 3G is much more expensive than the 2G, is it worth it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the J&Ms - they're OK. I use them on a 3/4 helmet and there is too much wind noise to use them for anything but intercom above 35 mph. I've installed them on two different styles of HJC helmets with the same sound issue.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have the J&Ms - they're OK. I use them on a 3/4 helmet and there is too much wind noise to use them for anything but intercom above 35 mph. I've installed them on two different styles of HJC helmets with the same sound issue.
I have the nolan-103..with the J & M..& find i have a hard time hearing,at speeds about 55mph...with the wind noise ,very hard to hear...anyone know if there is any solution or something i may try.to fix the problem?..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts