GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing the headstem bearings on my 2001 I discovered a steel plate bolted(by 2 bolts) to the base of the ignition mounting. Being an ozzie from "updide down land" with my luck a photo would end up just that, upside down!:eek:
And the fact I am no computor wizz I won't try to post a pic here.
So maybe an explanation will suffice.
The steel bracket when viewed after removal looks like an inverted "U" of sorts and has a forward projecting "lip" that almost overlays the top triple clamp.
To remove the triple clamp this bracket needs to be removed as it prevents the triple clamp from sliding up enough to clear the steering stem on removal. Removal of the bracket requires the top shelter off to gain access to the 2 bolts.
The bracket in question performs absolutely no function, at least not that I can determine, therefore, to in future service the headstem and be able to remove the triple clamp easier, I have left the bracket off.
If any of you have any idea what bracket I am referring to I am really curious as to it's function?
I have seen Steve S's video on headstem overhaul on a 2001 but he gives no instruction that the part(bracket) requires removal....and in fact I could not see on the video that the bracket even exists on the bike he used for the video.
It is no big deal really......I'm just curious as to the reason for the bracket. It simply does not perform a purpose, other than to stop the top triple clamp rising up off the stem and forks if all the headstem nuts/locknuts were to come loose.....unlikely.
cheers, Jay

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
You don't have to be a computer wiz. Just hold the camera upside down to take pictures for proper viewing in the northern hemisphere!!

If I remember well that is the function is serves.. If it came off, I'd put it back on to prevent bad juju... Leaving it off just might induce some aboriginal curse on your ride (or even attract drunk roos in your path)!! The two bolts will slow down a head change "pit stop" but not enough to loose position!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Do you have the KISS ignition system lock in Aussie?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mmmm....I wondered why when I load all my pics on Picasa I had to rotate 'em 180 deg.!!!:shock::shock:
As for roos here in oz....better not to tangle with 'em, unless one has a taste for roadkill and more specific, kangaroo tail soup...lol!

I presume you are referring to the HISS system? Yes, we do have it but I don't see any relevance to the bracket I talk about.
The bracket has nothing attatched to it and its removal has had absolutely no effect whatever on the bikes function.
Maybe it is put there as a mounting for optional equipment/device...only my guess.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Is it possible you are encountering the bracket that serves to trip the turn signal cancel switch?

prs

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
OZwing, you don't say what model / year you have. I just did an '06 Nav unit, and there was a bracket that held the nav panel from the bottom that sounds like the one you describe. If you have an '06 or later but not a unit with the larger display panel, it could be there just because that bracket gets put on all of them? I haven't done a later than '05 without Nav yet, so I don't know if it's there the base model or not.

Edit.. PR, the TS cancel switch is on the bottom of the triple tree. Jay's bracket sounds like the one that holds the nav screen. It really gets in the way of removing the top fork clamp, and you have to remove the shelter to get it off. What a pain.

Dave
GWBBA #9
www.rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
It's listed as #17 in the pic below Part#5220762-001 "Guard B"

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave.....my first post I indicated the year as 2001.
PD....your parts locator pic is correct...I am referring to the "top" triple tree area.
The part indicated at #17 is almost certainly the part I refer to as a "bracket".
However, it is not the same shape as the bracket on my bike.
Maybe the bracket shape has been redesigned, or, the drawing is not a true indication of the bracket. Nonetheless I am fairly sure that #17 is the correct part.
What it is Guarding, however is beyond me, although from memory the turn signal wire connector is located just below it.
Maybe that is it's purpose.....to shield the indicator connector.(you know that painfull little connector that requires disconnecting from the meter panel)
I will look in my service manual again and see if I can shed any more light on this.
Thanks for your input guys, Jay

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Some people have been known put a home-made bracket down in that region to act as an electrical interference shield for the cruise control. Could that be it?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It's listed as #17 in the pic below Part#5220762-001 "Guard B"

On my 01 number 17 is a plastic cover, and only takes a minute to remove. If there is a metal plate that shape, then someone fab that up and added it for some reason, that's my guess. Are you the original owner?

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
I believe that piece of metal is intended as an anti-tamper device. It covers up the steering lock mechanism so that someone couldn't attempt to defeat it. To my knowledge, this piece is not installed on the early model US bikes.

On the 2006 and newer bikes, there is a bracket in that location that holds the rear of the meter panel, and it also covers up the steering lock mechanism.

I modified the bracket on my 2009 by cutting the forward edge of it off, so that I could be able to remove the top bridge to adjust the bearings without having to pull off the top shelter. I also considered making some access holes in the black tunnel cover so I could get a socket on the two screws that hold this bracket on without having to pull the shelter, but in the end, I just decided to cut the bracket.

I'm told that if you are REALLY CAREFUL you can remove the rubber gromments and take the two bolts that hold it on by using a socket and extension (with sticky tape on it) down through the gromment holes, but it looks to me like you would end up dropping the bolts down into the HONDA HOLE if you tried to do it that way. My fear is in the end you would create more work for yourself because then you would have to tear the bike apart to find the screws you dropped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firstly, this bracket is not homemade...it is a manufactured part.
TS......ticket to Oz? Nah....dollar exchange rates leave me outa pocket!:lol:

Fred; you hit tha nail on tha head mate. Your pic shows the correct part except for 1 minor detail. The part on my wing does not have the two "arms" extending that have the threads in it.
However, the bits you ground off to allow removal of the triple clamp seem to indicate you do show the right bracket. I considered doing the same thing but decided to leave the bracket off altogether....as I said...it seemed to play no role on my bike.

If I can figure out how to post a pic here I will. I'm not real computor savvy so maybe someone can enlighten me on how to post pics please.
cheers, Jay

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
Firstly, this bracket is not homemade...it is a manufactured part.
TS......ticket to Oz? Nah....dollar exchange rates leave me outa pocket!:lol:

Fred; you hit tha nail on tha head mate. Your pic shows the correct part except for 1 minor detail. The part on my wing does not have the two "arms" extending that have the threads in it.
However, the bits you ground off to allow removal of the triple clamp seem to indicate you do show the right bracket. I considered doing the same thing but decided to leave the bracket off altogether....as I said...it seemed to play no role on my bike.

If I can figure out how to post a pic here I will. I'm not real computor savvy so maybe someone can enlighten me on how to post pics please.
cheers, Jay
The bracket on your Australian model is different. You can see that by the drawing on the fiche that Punkin Dave posted above. Since you don't have the larger Navigation panel, yours won't have the two arms. The one on your bike only acts as an anti-tamper cover or "guard" over the lock mechanism. You could just remove it and leave it off and never put it back on if you aren't worried about a thief trying to disable the steering lock.

My guess is that there is some sort of regulation in Australia that requires the lock be protected, so Honda had to put it on the Australian (and possibly European) bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again Fred. It is not the first time there has been some differences found between o'seas and oz wings. I have left it off.Now I can remove the triple clamp without taking off the top cover.
BTW I thank you for your contributions to the world of wings. I have lurked for some time but nonetheless found the board here extremely helpfull. Hopefully in future I can assist and repay board members with my own advice/suggestions.
Although not a qualified mechanic my mechanical experience has been aquired over 35 years of working on cars(vintage cars specifically) and some on motorcycles. And my experience has served me well. I seldom use service centres for either cars or bikes preferring to do the jobs myself. At least that way I know that it is done properly....more so to my own satisfaction and piece of mind. Sometimes I spend hours just trying to find a "logical" reason for a problem.
Cheers from upside down land, Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts