GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't ride yet, but I can play. I got this gear indicator in today.

It plugs into the RED socket shown in bottom of photo.

How do I run the wires under the tupperware to mount the indicator next to the speedometer?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't believe no one knows how to remove the shelter and run the wires to the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Can't believe no one knows how to remove the shelter and run the wires to the tunnel.

Well............some of us have nothad one long enough to have too! :roll:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Black Duc Tape,,,,,,,,,:shrug:

You have a service manual on the bike,,, if not you are going to need one! The shelter is easy, but while you are there you should go ahead and check the air filter too, and the coolant and a few other things that you will find.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A very talented friend came to the house today and in 20 minutes we had the indicator wires run.

Used a wire coat hanger to act as a snake to figure a path for the wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
A very talented friend came to the house today and in 20 minutes we had the indicator wires run.

Used a wire coat hanger to act as a snake to figure a path for the wires.
Not bad...

I've been thinking about getting one of these... I've heard of people running it behind the speaker grill. Does anyone have a pic of that?

Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Gear indicator

I installed one on my Hanniganized 2009 GL1800. Removed the seat, upper cowl, and the instument cluster surround. Attached the end to the red plug, ran the wire up the right side under the upper cowl, crossed under near ignition switch to left side, and ran the indicator to topside of the cluster plexi to the blank triangle area between lower edges of the tack and speedo. To let the surround set down I rattail filed a hole where the wire transitions from under the surround to top of the plexi.

Works great, lets me know what gear I am in when shifting up and down in town or on the twisties. However, when the clutch lever is in the indicator only shows a dash (-), so does not show the gear at a stop light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts