GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A special thanks to forplay (Brian) for taking the time to work out a route, along with hotel recommendations for the upcoming ride to Chandler, Arizona where the Heart Attack Grill is located. There's also a planned ride to the Grand Canyon, which I'm embarrassed to say, I have never seen. So all you guys and significant others chime in and commit to this ride. As Brian says, get your reservations in early. Just as a side note, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Arizona riders that joined us on the Death Valley ride, great bunch of people. A map of the route will follow.

Kurt :excited:

From Brian:
OK Guys and Gals,
We’re on for the Heart Attack Grill, Grand Canyon and Sedona. Starting Saturday April 18th, (which is the best date to travel after Easter weekend) Tiny Tim will be leaving Simi Valley at 0600, to pickup Kurt, if anyone wishes to meet up with Tim and Kurt prior to them arriving at the next pickup point at I-15 and 76 at the Mobil station @ 0900, please post up. Then we’ll follow the 76 to the 78 through Anza-Borrego Springs to Brawley to El Centro to the Heart Attack Grill with an ETA @ 1245. Have lunch then medical treatment and depart the hospital @ 1415. Arrive Payson, AZ via Hwy 87, @ 1700. Total miles for Saturday from Simi Valley, 615.
Sunday breakfast @ 0700 with kickstands up @ O800 traveling to the Grand Canyon via Hwy 260 to visit the park (221 mi), and returning back to Sedona to spend the night (114 mi). This will allow plenty of time to visit the park. Total miles for Sunday, 335.
Monday Breakfast @ 0700 with kickstands up @ 0800, travel through Prescott on Hwy 89 to I-10 with lunch in Palm Desert (327 mi) after which riders will depart their own way depending where they live. To Simi Valley 150 mi. Total for Monday 457 mi.
Total trip from Simi Valley and back to Simi Valley is 1,427 mi.
Saturday April 18th, Payton, AZ, the motel chosen is America's Best Value Inn 800-474-2283 - $62 Single, $69 Double.
Sunday April 19th, Sedona, AZ the motel chosen is La Vista Motel 928-282-0000 - $69 single, $89 double.
I strongly suggest that reservations be made ASAP for both Payton and Sedona as April is a busy time of year and motels book up early. When calling for reservations please mention your part of the Goldwing Group.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looking forward to meeting up at the Heart Attack Grill with some of you Arozina riders - some of which we meet up with the last two years on the Death Valley Ride.

Brian

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Reservation made for Payson! Sent an email for Sedona, their reservation phone is closed till the next business day.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Reservation made for Payton! Sent an email for Sedona, their reservation phone is closed till the next business day.
I could be wrong but me thinks you will have a hard time finding Payton AZ. :wink: :wrong:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I will see you guys at the grill and perhaps ride a bit with you. I might make one suggestion to your route. you now have your route going north out of Payson on 87 and going out to I-17 through camp verde on 260. I would continue north on 87 to Lake Mary Road which comes out just south of Flagstaff which gets you to the same place. Much more scenic, and more fun. Might add 15 to 20 minutes to your time max, if any.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Yeah, OK I fixed it...

But are you coming?
Don't want to commit just yet. I volunteered to help Madera Honda put on their annual Gum Ball Run on April 18th. Gotta try and weasel out of that first. Can't think of a better way to get coronary complications. :22yikes:

·
Registered
715 Posts
:eat2::eat2:

Put me down boys... Looking forward to the trip.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will see you guys at the grill and perhaps ride a bit with you. I might make one suggestion to your route. you now have your route going north out of Payson on 87 and going out to I-17 through camp verde on 260. I would continue north on 87 to Lake Mary Road which comes out just south of Flagstaff which gets you to the same place. Much more scenic, and more fun. Might add 15 to 20 minutes to your time max, if any.

Hi Old Guy,
I had to zoom in on my map program to locate the roads you mentioned and we'll definitely change our route to go as you suggested. That route is much more interesting than heading over to I-17. Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

Look forward to seeing you for lunch at the Heart Attack Grill. Hope we all get out alive. Brian

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts
mmmmmm hamburgers..... I saw that interview on CBS , what a great place .. count me in!! Lets try to keep it around 90 mph this time!!

Matt(BCNV) :tongue:

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Pencil me in for the moment...and I know, this time, I'll be one-up.

I'm fairly sure we may be having a house guest from back east - if that's the case, I'm sure I'll be needing a weekend with the fellas by that time. I know I can turn up for the medical treatment on Saturday, beyond that, it's a little fuzzy right now.

Now, just for you SoCal boys, that's the NASCAR weekend in Avondale, so good deal planning to avoid I-10 on Saturday. Another point, last gas I think will be there at Stanfield, when you get off @ I-8 and SR 84 (which takes you to SR 347). If you've never been on it, the road between Gila Bend & SR 84 is wonderful and desolate, which is why you may see a DPS unit out there. :22yikes: That stretch of I-8, along with SR 85, is used as a commercial vehicle bypass of metropolitan Phoenix.

Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will definitely meet you guys... it will be a fun ride and it will be good to see those of you that I met on the Death Valley rides again and hopefully will make some new aquaintances as well!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Allright! Got both my reservations done! I'm set to go! :doorag:

Better bring my Industrial Sized Insulin... ;-)

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Allright! Got both my reservations done! I'm set to go! :doorag:

Better bring my Industrial Sized Insulin... ;-)
Now that is funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best to just leave the test meter at home. :22yikes:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Well I had hoped to make some of the ride with you guys but it looks like lunch might be all I can make. Looks like my son is coming home on leave and I know it will break all your hearts but I think he takes precedence. We'll see, however, as his plans seem to change frequently depending on the needs of the Army.

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts
Well I had hoped to make some of the ride with you guys but it looks like lunch might be all I can make. Looks like my son is coming home on leave and I know it will break all your hearts but I think he takes precedence. We'll see, however, as his plans seem to change frequently depending on the needs of the Army.
Bring him along, I for one would like to thank him and buy him a coffee, or a burger, but then again I don't want to be responsible for "destroying Gov't Property" w/ the Quad Bypass!!

Matt(BCNV) :cool:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Bring him along, I for one would like to thank him and buy him a coffee, or a burger, but then again I don't want to be responsible for "destroying Gov't Property" w/ the Quad Bypass!!

Matt(BCNV) :cool:
That's Ok Matt.... They have "Nurses" there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I think you forget how these kids eat. 5k calories at a meal is nothing for him. Of course he burns it off. I'll have to ask him if he can borrow a bike while he's home. It would be a kick to ride over with him. We have never been on bikes together.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This looks like a fun trip... I especially like the waitresses!!! I just called the SO and recieved preliminary permission. I have some friends that live near the meeting point off of 15, so that would be a great staging point for me. I'm hoping to do the Death Valley take 2 ride a couple weekends before this one... but there's no reason why we can't do both!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts