GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased some new helmets HJC IS-33 for my wife, and I got the FS-3 for myself. I was going to use the headsets from our old helmets, my wife had a J&M, and I have an Air Rider headset. The install was not as easy as I thought, we both kept having this ear pain from the speakers. I did a couple of things, I did cut some material away that was between the cheek pads, which allowed me to get the speakers farther into the helmet, but that did not make it better. So I found out there is a foam core liner here, that my old helmets did not have, and it looks like I need to cut some foam to recess the speakers farther into the helmet, or did I not need to cut the material away from the cheek pads. I guess I could have put the speakers behind the material I cut that was sewn to both sides of the pads, but then I would have the material that I cut out, muffling the sound from the speakers. So I am looking for some advice here. I live in northern MI. and I wonder if there is someone here in northern MI I can take this to, who may be able to install the headsets

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You aren't really supposed to cut away any foam......but. Anyway, try using a heavy metal spoon and form a dimple for your speakers to fit in.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Had to do the same thing to my HJC Helmets.

Gotta Do What You Gotta Do, to get them comfortable.

I dont think pocketing the foam for the speakers is a real safety concern, since it is only around your ears.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
had the same problem with my SyMax II, and I mean there was a major problem with insufficient room for the speakers. I primarily use ear buds instead of speakers, but like to have speakers as a back up. I didn't want to do any drastic reworking on the foam so I just removed them and left them out.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
recently installed J & M 629 series in IS-MAX BT. They make a headset just for this helmet. Everything fits great, side clamp instead of clamp on bottom of the helmet. Lots of room for the speakers.
Very happy with ease of install and sound quality. No hiss through speakers,

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Nice video. I just got the IS - 33 and can see how I can do my Ed sets system. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had to gouge foam too HJC helmet

I used my dremel moto toll and gouged out and fitted the speakers and epoxied them in. I know, I will have break them to take them out, but they will not come out or loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts