GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that COLD weather is approaching I've started thinking of some way to heat the seat of my 1800 wing - I've looked at a few options; carbon vs heated coils.... comments from anyone who's added heating element to their seat. How did you do it? Cost?

Thanks,

Ken H>

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ken.
I addded heat to my seats this spring. I used carbon heating elements from Sports Imports. So far it works fine. Only drawback is there is only one switch so front and rear are not controlled separately. I quess if I had used two heating kits I could have had it that way. Chose the less expensive way as I usually use the wing 2 up. Cost was less than $200 as I remember.
Bob VanNess
Royal Oak,MI

·
Registered
761 Posts
I did mine last year. Cost for the heating elements was around $80. However, you do need an air stapler to put the seat cover back on. I got one at Harbor Freight for $40 that worked fine. Some have had success with an electric stapler but I tried a couple and they just would not put the staples back in. There is a two position (HI-LO) single switch but that has not been a problem. We are VERY happy with the results. I can e-mail you pictures of the process if you have a high speed connection. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree about the air stapler. My cost of around $200 included buying the Harbor Freight stapler.
Bob VanNess
Royal Oak,MI

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info - Yes, I have highspeed connection for the photos.... [email protected] should be a good address.

Do heated seats really help that much in cold weather? I usually ride yr round and we really have some COLD weather here in Mobile, AL. Heck, I've seen some 30 degree mornings I had to ride to work - about 35 miles. Well, at least 2 or 3 times/yr it will be that cold and we've even had snow and ice here in Mobile.

Ken H.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the concern Jim, we've GOT to do the "Blue Gill" thing again your next trip down... OR I need to ride up to B'ham sometime.

Ken H>

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
heated seat is probably kinda like heated grips, heated grips work great for me and i have riden down to 0 many times, have seen lots of folks on this board say heated grips didn't work very well for them, everyone is different

i would love to have a good heated seat but so far not willing to fork out the cash to add it to the bike, will hopefully buy a new wing in a couple years with all the heated stuff,GPS, ABS and maybe even an airbag

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have an 06 level 4 wing with the comfort package - heated seats/grips The grips are like snowmobile - they get warm to very warm - gotta turn em down - too hot. The heated seat works pretty good although not as hot as the grips. Also note, the heat in the seat works better if it's colder out. At 30 it heats better/hotter than 50.

·
Registered
761 Posts
KenH said:
Thanks for the info - Yes, I have highspeed connection for the photos.... [email protected] should be a good address.

Do heated seats really help that much in cold weather? I usually ride yr round and we really have some COLD weather here in Mobile, AL. Heck, I've seen some 30 degree mornings I had to ride to work - about 35 miles. Well, at least 2 or 3 times/yr it will be that cold and we've even had snow and ice here in Mobile.

Ken H.
Ken, You have mail. I put the heat in more for the wife than for me. However, last year about this time we did a four day fall color trip up along the north shore of Lake Superior. The day we went up into Canada the high temp reached mayby 45. Cloudy and rain off and on. I did enjoy the heated seat. :) We have Gerbring stuff also. The wife has a jacket and pants. I have the jacket and gloves. The heated clothing is the real ticket to staying warm when riding in the cold. The Tulsa hot foot and Baker leg wings also help a lot. :biker:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I like the heated clothing also - I made a heated shirt 3/4 yrs ago that really worked good, especially for long trips.... but for the short ride to work it got to be hassle, but now I'm 35 miles from work, so maybe I should drag it back out for those cold mornings.

I am hoping the heated seats would give that "little something extra' that is needed here in Mobile where the "normal COLD" is 40 F on those chilly mornings.

73 de Ken H.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have heated grips and heated seat. The only drawback w/ the grips is the wind still seems to take the heat away from the outside of my fingers, and they get cold. The parts next to the grips feel good. But then, my hands get cold easily. The heated seat does good. I have found by heating my backside, it seems to warm the other parts of my body, and my blood. As the warmed blood circulates it warms the rest of me, a little. My wife really loves the heated seat. She typically keeps it on "high".

My cost? A touch over $17,000. We have an '06 w/ comfort package. I can heartily recommend it. If we did not have the comfort package, I would do as you are considering, and install a heated seat and grips. I would also suggest separate heat controls for the seat, unless you and she have very similar cold tolerances.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Scott James - If you see this I got your PM and I sent a reply last night but it is just sitting in the out box. It looks like something is wrong with the forum e-mail system. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will get the info to you. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts