GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently compled a 6 K trip, the Temps in Kansas were 105-110 Brutal, then the heat being blown out by the fans made riding extremely uncomfortable.

So I swore that I would look for an Add on to deflect the heat that comes off the radiators but to date I can't find anything that is specific for that. I have looked at all that Baker & Kuryakyn has to offer, and none really are designed specfic for that purpose.

If anyone knows of a product please le me know

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The way I believe the cooling of the 1800 engine works is when you're moving the air flows from the front into the engine and through the radiators and out the other side. The only time the fans come on is when you're stopped for a length of time. It would be when stopped that the hot air would/could be directed to the rider but once you get going it changes.

The Baker wings (or any wind wings), when open a llittle to give a gap between the fairing and the wind wing causes the air flowing past the outside to pull the hot air coming out of the radiator away from the rider. It's sounds weird but it seems to work for may riders and I've noticed a difference when they are closed, compared to being open a little. I keep the lower (smaller) wings closed unless I want the warmth.

The only other problem is anything to re-direct the air to the rider would be hot anyways if it's 110 degrees.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know of anything Bob. But I gotta tell ya'. At 110 degrees, that would have taken me off the bike long before any engine heat would have.

I have never experienced the heat you are referring to. But the first thing I would do is remove those shark grill inserts. Many people here have reported that they contribute to a lot of heat on the rider.

When temps are really high, I open my Baker AirWings. It blasts away the still air that builds up.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It seems a person here knows you or is he taking a shot in the dark about the shark grills? Either way he is correct that they funnel heat.
As for your original question, you probably felt the ambient heat. Yes the wings will make a larger bubble of air around you and the wings that go under the mirrors will increase the adjustability and lots find that the mirror wings are all they need.

If you were riding those temps, any air would feel like it was coming from an oven. You want the air off of you or adjusted to blow up the sleeves of your solid jacket.

The wings work by throwing air further away from you and increasing the width of the air bubble. They work. They don't make miracles, but they do exactly what you are asking about.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If you were riding those temps, any air would feel like it was coming from an oven. You want the air off of you or adjusted to blow up the sleeves of your solid jacket.
If I were to take a stab as to what was causing Bob's problem, I would say that would be the biggest issue. We all know and expect that any motorcycle engine makes lots of heat, and that heat has to go somewhere. If the bike is designed well, like the Wing is, most of that heat is directed away from the rider. But since that engine is essentially between your legs, it can never be perfect.

When you ride in 110 degree temps, even the slightest bit of heat from the engine is going to feel like you have a furnace blasting at you.

I don't want to diminish the problem. But it's just the nature of motorcycling. Riding in high temps is difficult, and sometimes dangerous.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
heat

Ditto to everything from previous posters and I would suggest relief may be beyond mechanic's and you may wish to consider wearing some of the LD Comfort clothing. See the LD Comfort or heat related threads and note Bubba 1's especially knowledgeable comments.

I bought the tights and shirt and they work well in cool weather or extreme heat. They work even better with a textile jacket. I have the motoport kevlar mesh gear which is great, however, textile works best and I think you would benefit from reading about the LD Comfort gear and perhaps trying the long sleved shirt. Use water generously on the LD Gear.

This summer I was (unfortunately) riding in about 104 or so degree's and while it was unpleasant and not nearly as bad as your situation, the LD Comfort clothing offered a surprisingly high amount of relief. Again, use water generiously on the LDC gear. I cannot imagine riding in 110 although I gather Bubba 1 does it frequently and with ease thanks to the LD C stuff. Those threads are worth a look.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The standard Baker Wings have two sections. The upper, when open, scoops outside air and dumps in in right where you're having a problem. The lower mounts behind the radiator exhaust, and substantially blocks it.

The really neat thing is that you can reverse them, leaving the upper part closed, and the lower open in winter. That sends some warm air your way. It isn't perfect, but it works pretty well.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/h18awl.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts