GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
We have early pre-micro wire Gerbing jacket liners and gloves. We use velcro type of material to attach the dual controllers to the jacket in the area of where a t-shirt pocket would be. Works for us and money well spent on warmth.

I've used the Gerbing G-3 gloves. Did not like them. It seemed like my hand was always in argument with the glove. Glove wanted to be straight in the fingers, I needed to bend the fingers to hold the grips.

I would certainly suggest dual controller if you buy anything more than a jacket or jacket liner.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I made my own jacket and pants, Gerbings all the way for gloves, permanent mount controller.

I second what someone else said about getting the jacket and not the vest. It feels real good having warm arms. I'll never go without heated gear again.

It's worth it to have it, whether you buy or make your own. Even on chilly nights it feels good.

I found the amount of gear I used to carry during spring/fall seasons decreased due to having it. I can wear a lighter jacket during the day and if I get chilled after dark or when the dew falls, I can just use my headed jacket liner and mmmgood.

The gloves would be a waste unless you are riding in flat out cold weather. I usually only use them if it's near or below freezing but when it's in the teens the gloves are almost a necessity. I like the gloves alot more than heated grips because I can keep my hands warm without holding grips, and it puts heat on the back of your hands instead of the palm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
get the long sleeve jacket not thr vest.
Get gloves with duel controller. I got the socks and never needed them
Gerbs.
+1 on the long sleeves....help keeps the shoulders warm. I went with Powerlet and electronic controller.

I also use Widder vest with old style bulky heat controller.

Yes, it does get cold in Arizona.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I was having trouble then at a dealers level. Co. to Co. dealings, Since then they continued to go downhill. No dealer support to speak of. It was really getting rediculous. I was tired of making them money then being treated like crap.
Finally few weeks ago I decided to drop them after more changes for the worse (for me) were made.

That's not what you told me last winter. :shock:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would recommend that you, the driver, get heated gloves, too.

Can't comment on any brands as I'm still using Widder stuff that closed up shop many years ago.

You may also find that you turn into a Winter rider! Some of the most gratifying and rewarding rides I've had have been in the middle of February ... assuming the roads are free of ice and snow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also recommend buying the gloves. I rode for several years with only the gloves and never had a problem even down to below zero temps with and without windchill factor. I find you can dress warm enough on the upper and lower body to stay warm, but you cannot keep your hands warm enough to safely operate a mororcycle in extreme temps.

And grip heaters are worthless for me. they never get my fingers warm, only my palms, which aren't as important!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I would recommend that you, the driver, get heated gloves, too.

Can't comment on any brands as I'm still using Widder stuff that closed up shop many years ago.

You may also find that you turn into a Winter rider! Some of the most gratifying and rewarding rides I've had have been in the middle of February ... assuming the roads are free of ice and snow.
Interesting about the Widder, I still have mine and it works. Wonder how much Widder still 'out there'. In FL don't get to use it, but served me well in Northern VA.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Bill -- Bought my first Widder vest in 1981 or '82. They may have been the only game in town back then. I bought a new vest in 2005 (or so) because I wanted the arms and collar. The older vest still works just fine to this day. Good stuff. Don't know why Mr Widder decided not only to close up shop but not sell it to someone else. He clearly had a well made product that worked.

FWIW, if I'm out riding all day and the temps are going to be no higher than 60F, I'll often wear my vest -- something I learned from some old time Iron Butt riders. 60F + the bike's "wind chill factor" can get you by the end of the day.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Bob, now there's a good post right there. I too wondered why Widder did not sell and make some $, he had a good brand, and apparently all the manufacturing facilities. Maybe someone has the answer and could start a new thread. Not real excited about kind of hijacking this one even though it's heated gear related.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.