GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's starting to get that time of year and I'm thinking about heated riding gear.(Gerbings) What do you "Wingers use? I have a Widder vest from my BMW's but would like to up-date to Gerbings products. Don't need gloves(Never used the Widder gloves) would like a set of pants, torso and socks. haven't started to look so guess I'm open to suggestions. Any suggestions? Nor sure about hook-up and controllers.

·
IronMan
19,408 Posts
Full jacket liner n set of gloves also air wings ( orvilee sage brand recomended ) helps a ton pair of wool socks

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use the full Gerbing's Union ridge heated jacket, single controller, pants, gloves (a must for me) with either heated socks or I just picked up the insoles (will try them this year). Been using Gerbing's for almost 20 years. The last jacket lasted 10 years. Single plug in mounted on the bike.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Rode last nite and it was 52 when we started and after dark it was 39 when I got home. I have a Gerbing full jacket and a connector to battery for mine and a controller to battery for wife. When I ride alone I just plug into her controller so I can control temp. I have ridden at 28 deg and never needed heated gloves. I have wind wings and wear snow ski gloves when its really cold. I prefer plain deer skin rest of the time. I find that the wing farrings keep my legs warm enough in bluejeans and If it is really cold I have put rain gear pants on but keeping blood in core of body warm and living in mn for 55 winters its no problem for me. I did find wintering in texas makes me a little sooner to grab gerbings thou.

Try jacket only and then buy pants if you need to. Know several with gloves and they almost never use them./

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use warm N safe heated jacket liner and both warm N safe gloves or Gerbings micro-wire gloves depending on mood.

Personally I cant do without gloves below 30 degrees. The jacket is a convenience for me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Powerlet

Go to Powerlet site and order a low profile socket. Install it in the left side cover that covers the battery. There is an open "gap" about 3" tall but 1.5" wide. Fits nicely in there. I installed my last weekend. 1/2 hour job if that.

So as the 2012 does not have an power adapter, what does one plug the heated clothing into?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
So as the 2012 does not have an power adapter, what does one plug the heated clothing into?
Gerbing (and I imagine Warm n Safe also) provides a battery harness with their heated clothing. You can hook right off the battery and then plug your gear into the battery harness.

You could also install the panel mounted port for a clean looking install of the female coax port off the battery harness.

I mounted mine on the front left fairing below the radio.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gerbing (and I imagine Warm n Safe also) provides a battery harness with their heated clothing. You can hook right off the battery and then plug your gear into the battery harness.

You could also install the panel mounted port for a clean looking install of the female coax port off the battery harness.

I mounted mine on the front left fairing below the radio.
I really like this idea. Can you zoom out your image a bit so to get a better perspective of the area and surrounding?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I use the Widder gloves. I bought them back in 1992. They had a lifetime guarantee so when one went bad, I sent it to them and they replaced it for free. I now have a second set.

I do have Widder heated chaps, but don't use them much anymore. The 1500 had air coming through the handlebar area right down on top of my knees. The 1800 isn't like that.

My wife uses the Gerbing pants and jacket. Again they are guaranteed for life.

Can't go wrong with that.:thumbup:

I made an adapter to connect these to the same plug I use for my battery tender. The plug runs from the battery, under my seat up to the front of the seat by the gas door and I can plug both in very easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.