GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for heated clothing and am interested in the concensus of the list. I have never had any experience with electric clothes but am taking a trip were it would be nice to have. I am interested in what manufacturers folks recommend and what combination folks use. I have seen the Gerbing site and am intrigued by the idea of an entire outfit, jacket and pants that provide protection, rain gear and warm and cold with the liner. Is this really the miracle solution. It sure would save on carrying a bunch of clothes if it really is 4 season gear. Is the heat comfortable to ride down to 30degrees or below?

Ahhhh so many questions

Con Wieland
'01 illusion red

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
While Gerbing certainly has its following (I'm among them), the need for entire heated outfits (or pieces) are very individual.

I can ride in a relatively light jacket and jeans in rather cold conditions but my hands get very cold in temps much below 65 degrees! So I opt for heated gloves only.

If you know what your limits are without heated gear, then you can make an educated guess at to what pieces to start with.

As a side note, most recommend the controllers as opposed to the simple on/off switch and for good reason. While effective, the basic switch requires considerable attention...it's either fully on or fully off.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Con - nice choice of bikes. Best color.

Go Gerbing. But your other choices are Widder, Warm-n-Safe, Powerlet, and some lessor (revised to say smaller market share...that better?) models. I would say the market is 60% Gerbing, 30% Widder, 10% other.

For a full 4 season setup, get the Gerbing liners, head to toe. Jacket, pants, socks, gloves, controller. Then think about an air mesh jacket with liner and a rain suit. (We got First Gear, others work as well)

100+ Hot summer day - Air mesh jacket and pants.
60-70 degree summer evening - Air mesh outfit with the liners put in. The liners are waterproof, so even a light rain will not change anything.
30-50 degree mornings - Air mesh outfit with liners and the Gerbings under those. Toasty, man, toasty.
0-30 degree mornings - Same thing as above, but put the raingear over the top - stops the wind on the mesh jackets and the jackets become another insulating layer.
Below that, turn up the thermostat in the room.

Carol and I use that system because we always wear the coats, the Gerbings all fit into one stuff sack, and the mesh liners and raingear all fits into another. Minimum amount of room, light weight, compact, and covers just about anything we generally ride in.

Gerbing also has waterproof (Union Ridge) clothes, but no armor in it. They have two kinds of gloves, the regulars are pretty stiff. Try the G3. And get the comfort socks - walking any distance on the wires gets to be a pain.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My experience with Gerbings has not been too favorable. They are well made and they do help to stay WARM. BUT, When you order the pants, better order them about 4 inches too long, because the knees are not pleated or have a curvature to them and when you sit on the bike, they will ride up a good distance. I ordered mine 2 inches longer than my normal inseam and they ride up to the top of my boots (8" boots). Another thing is, there is only heat on the front of your legs. If you ride for a very long time (2-3 hrs) in temps 30 or below, your legs will freeze on the back side and burn up on the front, trying to keep them comfortable. It's kinda like standing around a camp fire when it's really cold outside. Burn on one side and freeze on the other.

I also found out the hard way, they are only water resistant, not waterproof. Riding in a light rain is OK, but a steady drizzle or hard rain, you will get your crotch wet.

I have the jacket liner and it is great underneath a rain Jacket or your favorite leather, etc... I don't know how well the outer wear jacket does in the rain, but if it's like the pants, be prepared to wear a rain jacket over it.

When you look at all of the gear on the market, there are no miracle solutions. It would be nice if someone that rides all year in all kinds of weather would design a pair of thinsulate lined pants and jacket that are WATERPROOF and with additional zip in/out heated liners...

If you find a miracle solution, please email me and let me know.

I've been thinking about ordering these waterproof bibs and either fabrcating heated liners or just sewing the heating wire into the thinsulate lining.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Lesser models?

There's many choices.
I use an Aerostich Kenetsu Vest and Gerbing socks; they live in harmony.
My wife uses full Gerbings except for gloves.
I like the 'Stich tops better; I think fleece is a superior insulator and like the comfort better.
I also use my hybrid version of the E/C electric grips too.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
:bow: Gerbings... there is no other IMO..I have the Jacket Liner, socks and gloves w/ the dual portable controller and love'em.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Like DT said, it depends on the individual concerning how much stuff you need. I've got Gerbings gloves and socks. I also wear a down filled jacket and a pair of down filled bibs. With that equipment I'm good to freezing temps. Any colder and I'll take the truck. lol

BTW, if it's cold and wet, I wear the above with Foggg Toggs over jacket and pants, rubber boots over the socks and thin waterproof mittens over the gloves.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Con, You don't mention what part of the country you ride in, or what temperatures you will be riding in, other than asking about "...down to 30 degrees or below?"
Yes - electric gear can keep you warm. But that comes with qualifications. A lot depends on how you dress in addition to the electric gear. Where I live, I can dress to ride well below zero F without even turning the electric gear on, except for the gloves and handgrips. But it sounds like you won't be riding in those conditions.
If you want the simplest way to dress with electric clothing, the Gerbing may be what you're looking for. Then again, if you want to stay really toasty, you may find it better to go with a Widder or Aerostich vest and plenty of insulation layered over that.
But whatever brand and design you choose to go with, there's no doubt electric clothing can make a big difference in your comfort when riding in chilly weather. But something you might want to consider - if you'll be riding far from home, dress warm enough (or carry sufficient extra clothing) that you can continue safely if your electric gear quits.

·
Registered
21,061 Posts
last march i rode over 1,000 miles one day

temperature started out in the low 50's and lite rain

by the time i got home it was 16 degrees and lite snow

started out not wearing any heated gear but added it as the day progressed

first the heated jacket linner

then the heated pants linner

last was the heated socks

all Gerbing stuff and everything worked great with a single heat troller

i was nice and warm when i got home at 3 am

Gerbings is the only heated clothes manufacturer with a LIFETIME WARRANTY

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am with goldwingnut as far as Gerbings and Rain is concerned. They are NOT even close to being rain resistant, let alone waterproof. We use camp dry on the jackets and pants but the fibers are so far apart that the water will be forced in through the fabric quickly. Heat wise I have only ridden in single digit temps. I did not feel the effect of the rear of my legs getting cold. I was NOT on a goldwing at the time and the only thing that got cold on me was my face! I had a full face helmet on as well but that didn't help. The balaclava did help (duhh when I figured out where I had put it). I haven't tried any other brand of heated clothing. My experience with Gerbings has always been VERY positive. My Gerbings fit quite well till I gained more weight ... :roll:

FF

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you want to save money and save space in your saddlebag do it yourself.
www.kustomkomfort.com sells a kit with a controller, wire, battery hookups and an 8 inch long needle for around $100. If you have a warm weather jacket that has a zip out liner you can sew the wire into it.
Works great. I've been using mine for five years now.
Adding heat to a pair of pants only costs an additional $35.
You'll save $100 over buying a Gerbing jacket and close to $200 on jacket and pants.
If you decide to go this route let me know as I can give you some tips that will make the job easier.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Gerbing - Best customer service and quailty-Warrenty for the life of the orginal wearer :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
For what the heated suits cost i would buy the items one at a time to see how many and which ones i really need. I can ride down to about 28 degrees with chaps and a leather jacket using the heated seat and grips Behind the Fairing with the heat vents open of course. Below that I believe all I might add is the vest and gloves.

Q

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Fred H. said:
I hate long URL's that spread out threads like this.
The new Internet Explorer v7 wraps the long URLs. Unfortunately the oversized pictures still mess up threads. :x

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Some more for ya! :D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Warm gear also has lifetime warranty, got mine thru cozy winters. Great service. Ordered 2 jacket liners and they sent one liner and a vest, called them up and they overnited the other jacket liner and sent me ra and free fedex return for the vest. Tim

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you really want to save money you can make your own. I bought a roll of 26 or 28 gauge insulated braided wire and a veterinarian needle for horse injections. I glued the wire inside the needle and threaded it through the jacket liner of my Tourmaster. I did not use teflon coated wire. Standard insulation is good for over 200 degrees of temperature, teflon raises it to over 400 degrees. Teflon insulated wire is much more expensive. Make sure that the insulation will go inside the needle. If you strip the wire and glue the wire into the needle the edge of the insulation will continually catch the fabric and make it impossible to thread through the liner. Total coast was under $20. The electronics store can tell you the resistance of the wire per foot and you can calculate how much wire to use to get the wattage you want. I experimented first by spot glueing wire onto a turtleneck shirt with a glue gun. It worked great, I still use it but it is ugly when you remove your jacket.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts