GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I approach one of the BIG birthdays, my better half asked what I would like as a present...

I think some heated gear would be great, but other than their advertising, I know very little about the different companies and their products.

So... Gerbings... Aerostitch... Heatroller... others...?

What do you guys think?

Price vs. Value, Customer Service, ease of use, comfort, product care, are all things that I'm looking at...

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Tom,
I don't know about the others but I think Gerbing has a lifetime warranty.
They are not the most expensive but not cheap. I have the full set minus the socks and like the warmth and craftsmanship.

Good luck, you will like heated clothing no matter which brand you choose.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY coming up. :hb2:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Tom,

After researching this very topic, I decided on Gerbing. As stated above, they are not cheap but, I don't think any are. Gerbing seems to have a better reputation with Widder coming in second, at least in the motorcycle realm.

Who ever you decide on, be sure to use their sizing chart. I doubted their numbers and ended up ordering the wrong size. Had to send them back. I'm waiting on my liners now. I've already mounted (installed) the electrical.

Good luck.

Terry

·
Registered
485 Posts
My Gerbings are great, but if you can not use off the rack expect it to take 6-8 weeks to get your custom cut. Actually Gerbing took less time then my Motoport which took 12 weeks. Point is you may not have it instantly.

I have the jacketliner, but if I had to do it over again I would have gotten a regular jacket because I still need a polartech type of jacket to keep the warmth in and the wind out.

I got the Cordura pants (custom cut) and they fit perfectly. I did have the guys at Gerbing take my measurements at a motorcycle show to make sure it was correct.

I like the original gloves better then the new version (better fit - big hand), but quite truthfully they are so warm I have never had to plug them in.

I originally got the dual portable temp controller, but ended up installing the permenant dual controllers in the right side pocket door. I would not recommend the on/off switch, these clothes get hot and can burn the skin if not careful, besides which you will be turning it on and off a lot. It is easier to let the temp controllers pulse the voltage to keep the temperature where you like it.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Carol and I have Gerbings liners - head to toe. Never had a problem with any parts of it, and they have been around awhile, and have experience. Did change from single to dual controllers, and the controllers even on the origingals were WarmnSafe. I prefer the liners because they can go from jacket to jacket, pants to pants, and over or under something else. The Union Ridge is a single unit, and no padding. The comfort socks are easier to walk in, the regulars are a little warmer. The regular gloves are warm but a little bulky, the glove liners are worthless, and the G3 are my next shot.

So, I would pick the Gerbing - good customer service, proven product, little expensive, but get the job done.

Another option is to have Gerbing or someone wire your favorite jacket or pants, if you have one.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Gerbing.

After having the lectric liner and gloves I can not believe I waited for so many years to buy them , cept I am a cheap s.o.b.

8)

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Gerbing
I have the complete setup and LOVE them....best investment I've made...not cheep, but anything worth a darn isn't...

I'd get a least the jacket and gloves, the whole set if possible...

I have the portable controller, but I'm looking into the permanent type.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have one word GERBING. With a heated jacket liner and pant liner you are set of any cold weather. That way you can layer over it or just keep it in the trunk for when it gets cold. I bet if you called Judy at Moto-Italia you could still get the 20% off discount. Phone: 618-692-6770 You will need to tell her your from the: GL1800 Gold Wing Riders Group on the internet.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Can only speak about Gerbings. Sets for me and the wife, we are very satisfied. I would recommend in this order; jacket liner, then socks, then gloves. I found I don't need the pants liner, when the rest of me is warm, the legs do fine and the GL has good wind protection. I use the gloves the least often, but jacket liner and socks are regulars in cold weather.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Gerbings jacket liner and G-3 gloves, wife and I love them!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gerbing jacket liner and EC heated grips. Would not want to ride without them.

·
Love The DCT
12,198 Posts
Check out the Jett battery powered vest at webbikeworld.com
Personally, I think this vest makes the rest of the battery powered vests obsolete. Completely self contained, no connections to the bike at all. Don't have to worry about running the bike's battery down. When you stop, you don't have to worry about unplugging anything from the bike. At the low setting, the battery lasts for nearly 8 hrs, and the temp is 104 degrees F. On the high setting, the temp is 140 degrees F, which is mighty toasty.

I have ordered one. It should be here in about four days, and I will post an evaluation of it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Widder vest and HDL heated grips.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
azjerry said:
Can only speak about Gerbings. Sets for me and the wife, we are very satisfied. I would recommend in this order; jacket liner, then socks, then gloves. I found I don't need the pants liner, when the rest of me is warm, the legs do fine and the GL has good wind protection. I use the gloves the least often, but jacket liner and socks are regulars in cold weather.
Do you use the dual or single controller? If you're not using the pants liner, how are you powering your socks?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts