GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one gave me fits for a couple of days, so I thought I’d pass it along on the off chance someone else runs into it and maybe it’ll save them from some frustration.
I started connecting electrically heated clothing to motorcycles thirty or more years ago and have never run into this …………………until now:
I saddled up, plugged in and headed to my customary fuel stop before my ride, the routine is usually, plug in my gear, start the bike, pull out of the garage, close the door and switch on the gear.
But when I got off the bike and unplugged the heated gear, I didn’t turn it off, after fueling I plugged in and the bike would not turn on, so I turned off the fob, turned it back on and it started.
Then while riding the dash light for no key present came on, pulled over and fussed around for a bit, unplugged my heated gear and everything was as it should be.
I upon my return home I started to go down the list of things to check, battery, connections, measured to make sure the heated gear itself had no internal issues, I have more than one set of gear so I swapped out components one at a time in an attempt to narrow down what the problem was and everything was working fine.
So, I walked away ……………………….
After a day I took a fresh look and did some more diagnostic searching ………………………...nothing.
Lightbulb!
Every time I checked something my key fob was in my pants pocket or near enough so that its signal was detectable to the bike but some distance away from the heated gear itself.
My keys are always in my right jacket pocket (right against where the heated gear is) so I took the key and placed it against the heated gear and nothing.
Move the key away from the heated gear and everything works correctly.
The only thing I can surmise is that there is just enough magnetic field emitted from the heated gear that it prevents the signal from communicating with the bike’s receiver.
One of those learning experiences, new technology sometimes requires some getting used to.
Ride Safe One and All

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had the same experience. I wear Warm&Safe heated jacket liner and a Gears controller hooked to my jacket. With my fob in my jacket pocket the amber smart key light would flash and the white icon with question mark displayed. I had several no starts at gas stations. I discovered that removing the fob from my jacket would stop the light flashing, so I now keep the fob in my pants pocket, no more problems.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
No problem here with my Gerbing. To double confirm on your end you could start by wrapping your cords with aluminum foil and repeat test. I'm assuming that you have heard that the rear tire has to be completely still before everything will shut down.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my case it is a hard wired controller and it is/was nowhere near the fob. Having the fob in my jacket pocket and pressed against the internal heater wires of my liner is what caused the interference. Simply moving the fob 2 inches away from the heated liner eliminated the interference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No problem here with my Gerbing. To double confirm on your end you could start by wrapping your cords with aluminum foil and repeat test. I'm assuming that you have heard that the rear tire has to be completely still before everything will shut down.[/QUOTE

The issue is when the fob is in close proximity to the heating elements in the gear itself, (in my pocket), not the power supply. Moving the fob to another pocket solves the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts