GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to cool off here in S.E. Ohio enough that my thoughts are turning to cold weather comfort. This will be my first cold season with the comfort package on my 08 HPNA (or any bike for that matter). My questions:

1. With heated grips, is it best to use thinner gloves so the heat is really transferred from the grips to the fingers, or are cold weather gloves still the best?

2. What comments does anyone have about the Gerbing heated jacket liner, or similar brands? I was thinking to get one, then saw the prices. The jacket is about $250, and a dual control is another $70, so I'm looking at almost $350 including tax and shipping. I know only I can decide if it is worth it to me, but is this sort of gear effective on the Wing? Any combos in particular that are really worthwhile (e.g., liner plus pants)?

Reactions: Way2Cool and Hoopdc

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have Hotwired. It is not designed for “the true north, bold and free” but is plenty here. I can get by with enough heat using just the heated jacket down to about 40.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Regarding gloves, with heated grips, I think standard gloves would be fine (that's what I use). I have used thicker gloves in the past and found that they did not provide much additional help in keeping my hands warm while using grip heaters.

Regarding the heated jacket liner, I just purchased a new Warm-n-Safe Generation 4 jacket liner. I had a Powerlet heated jacket liner previously and was happy with it but it was getting frayed and went with the new Warm-n-Safe. I have only used it a couple of times. I always wear a tight fitting pullover shirt under the jacket to help with the heat transfer and wear a leather jacket to keep the cold air out.

One more thing is the notion of keeping the cold air off your neck area. I use a "neck gaiter" I purchased at a hiking store many years ago for that purpose.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I used the Gerbing jacket liner and pants liner both work well. The only thing I don’t like is having to wear some type of pants(ski bibs) over the liners, I end up having to take off two different pants. I will be purchasing the new style heated pants to replace the liners. As far as heated grip, I don’t have those so I just use the Gerbing heated gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Not sure what size you need. I had a guy I know that quit riding. I have his Harley heated jacket line dual controller and the wire harness for the bike. The stuff is new. wiring harness still rolled up and never installed on bike. Liner is a 3XL I would take $225. and I will pay shipping to you.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Starting to cool off here in S.E. Ohio enough that my thoughts are turning to cold weather comfort. This will be my first cold season with the comfort package on my 08 HPNA (or any bike for that matter). My questions:

1. With heated grips, is it best to use thinner gloves so the heat is really transferred from the grips to the fingers, or are cold weather gloves still the best?

2. What comments does anyone have about the Gerbing heated jacket liner, or similar brands? I was thinking to get one, then saw the prices. The jacket is about $250, and a dual control is another $70, so I'm looking at almost $350 including tax and shipping. I know only I can decide if it is worth it to me, but is this sort of gear effective on the Wing? Any combos in particular that are really worthwhile (e.g., liner plus pants)?
1. whichever one you prefer IMO. I've used both.

2. Gerbing, Fist Gear or most any of the brands should serve you well. Make sure to run the controller power connection directly off the battery.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I just returned from a ride through Death Valley. Saturday morning we rode in 36 degree temps for about 5 hours.
I have the Hot-Wire jacket liner. I wore standard leather gloves and used the grip heaters.
Both the jacket and grips were set at medium temperature and I was more than fine.
The key is to keep your core body warm. I also have Tourmaster, but they have now gone to battery operated heated gear.
The Hot-Wire goes on sale at Revzilla and others starting in February or March...… if you can wait that long. I like how fast HotWire heats up and how much less bulky their jacket liners are. Also this one comes with the controller attached and wiring.
I also prefer a controller that is push button, instead of the dial type. Much easier to adjust on the fly..
Regardless the heated gear, I believe it's a must to have on hand. Just like rain gear.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I used to bundle up wearing many layers but after buying a Gerbings jacket and gloves it's the way to go. We can wear much less bulk and be much warmer in the bargain. It's not an either/or for heated grips or gloves, it's both. No more bulky heavy cold weather gloves as the grip heaters allow medium weight gloves to wear all year, yet when in the 30's I pull out the Gerbings heated gloves. Over heated grips it's toasty. Blood warmed in the body core and in the hands is circulated elsewhere and helps keep legs and feet warm.

However, learned a stone cold lesson about traveling with heated gear to still carry a fleece and good gloves in a top box or saddlebag. After a few years use the connector harness failed and I was three hours from home. One thin underlayer under a electric jacket did not cut it and I got stone cold in about 30 minutes. Failure is rare but it happens.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Heated grips will only heat the palms of your hand, the backside will FREEZE if your out in extremely cold weather for any length of time so wear heavier gloves.

Last year on a ride up through OH and into southern MI my wife had cold hands so I gave her my heated gloves, which are also very warm without heat since they are heavier and fluffy warm inside. My hands were VERY cold on the ride despite having thick gloves so for this year, my wife now has her own heated gloves.

And I'm very happy with my Gerbing heated jacket.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have Gerbings gloves, jacket liner, and pant liners. I prefer the "passenger" gloves as they aren't near as heavy. I used to use the gauntlet gloves and never needed the heat so traded with the wife to get the lighter gloves and IMHO they are better for me. As for the grips I just wear normal gloves when I'm riding and don't have the Gerbing gloves with me and it gets colder. I haven't worn the pants liners in a few years as I found out with the liners in I really didn't need the heat part and now just wear chaps over my jeans and am good down to the low 30s easily. Since Gerbings changed hands their lifetime warranty went away and when asked about it all I got was under new management. Jacket liner quite working and I sent it back and they fixed it. With the "nominal" charge to check it out and then replacing one plug if I remember correctly it was approximately $50. I will be looking at another company when they quit again. Gordon's heated gear is owned by the family of the original Gerbings company. I never bought anything from them but in talking with them at a rally I would consider them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
heated gear

On the glove question, I have stock heated grips and have found that my O.E.M. finger type snowmobile gloves work fine down to 5 degrees F. Heavy padding on the top and normal palm area with some extra leather by the thumb. I wear flannel lined blue jeans with long underwear and it also worked fine down to 5 degrees F. I would test out how you enjoy riding as it starts getting colder and justify spending hundreds of dollars for the gear to hang up in the closet because cold weather riding is not for you. jmtc

Billy

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Get jacket not vest worth every penny if travel alot need less clothes to pack alson jacket replaces sweat shirt put on n dont plug in i have socks n pant liners but never used yet i find using my bib rain gear works better keeps wind off n heat in good luck I RIDE ALL YEAR WORST PROBLEM IN FLORIDA IS WHEN MY AC GEAR DONT WORK !:surprise::wink2::laugh:

Reactions: Kenichi and CAWing

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use glove liners from power in motion. They are great. Use them also when it comes to shovelling snow.

http://powerinmotion.ca/Products/Heated-Wear/Heated-Glove-Liners

I also use a Milwaukee 12v heated jacket. I plug both in via a 12v plug into the bike’s electrical. Power in motion comes with their “stickman” wiring which allows me to plug everything into the one wiring harness.
Toasty warm at 0c/32F.

Spiff

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
California Heat is the liner that I wear, much better than Gerbings, ck-out Heatedclothing4u.com , John Ambrose is the dealer.
Clothing is 100% guaranteed, plugs, zippers, elements, everything..& the style is better..

·
Registered
114 Posts
My wife and I both have Hot Wired jacket liners and glove liners. I find the glove liners a pain unless I am going for a longer ride. Since I commute on the bike pretty much all year here in PA, until the roads get salt/gravel spread on them, but it is a short commute (15-20 mins) the liners stay off. My wife's liner had a section that took a crap so Cycle Gear replaced it. I seem to recall something about a lifetime warranty... Anyway, this is my first year with the heated grips and seat, so I will still need to figure that one out, but the past years with the liners and thinner layers worked well in temps in the 30's for me. Without spending a fortune for name brand high dollar stuff.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have Gerbing heated jacket and heated gloves. While the initial investment for the jacket, gloves and dual controller seems high, having heated riding gear extends my riding season an additional two months in the spring and an additional two months in the fall. By extending the riding season the heated gear gives the original investment in a Goldwing much more value.

Reactions: Bluehighways

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have a Gerbing (older, not microwire) jacket liner and a set of Gerbing Gauntlet Gloves which are microwire. I manage them with a Gerbing dual controller. I am very pleased with both. I can and do ride between my home at the beach and the mountains around the Los Angles area. Temperatures can and often do range from the low 30's to the mid 80's within an hour or less. There is always the choice between keeping yourself from getting seriously cold on one hand, versus being nice and comfy on the other. I'm a wus! I like the nice and comfy end of the spectrum that the gear I have provides.

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
867 Posts

I bought my Gerbing's heated liner and gloves 31 years ago. I've gone through a few pair of heated gloves due to normal wear. They still work to this day. But, I only keep the 'old' ones around in case whatever heated gloves I'm wearing get soaked through by rain and I use the older ones a dry back-up. The newer gloves just feel so much better.

The liner still works like it did on Day 1. It NEVER actually gets hit with bad weather because it's a liner and goes UNDER whatever jacket you're wearing. Pricey ?? Depends on your pocket. Like I say, I knew I'd be riding in all sorts of weather for YEARS to come. 31 years later, it works like it was new. Nod even faded, worn, etc. It's worn UNDER anything you're wearing.

Heated clothing is far and away the best accessory I have ever gotten for the bikes in my life. Not even close. I lived in NY and rode all year, as I still do, for over 25 years. Without heated gear, riding would have been miserable very often or worse, impossible.

BTW, I never did buy the heated pants. But, in the Winter I ALWAYS wore/wear riding pants. Usually my Aerostich Roadcrafter. THAT suit is also over 20 years old.

The point of all this ?? Buy good quality stuff ONCE and it will serve you well. Only you have an idea of how often you'll need to use the gear.

Looking at it this way, it is not pricey AT ALL.

One tip.............if you get a heated liner, ROLL IT when storing even if it's just in your saddlebag on a trip. Don't FOLD it. No need to invite any crimping of the wires.

For me, 31 years later, it still works.

Ooops...................... reading the comments here reminded me of another tip. Keeping the wind off your neck. This is BIG. ANY wind that goes down your back in very cold weather will make you cold/uncomforatable very quickly. All I did was get a few velcro strips, sticky/glue-like on one side, and cut them to fit the inside of the neck so it was as snug, or not, as I want when I ride. The longer your strips of velcro is, the more adjustability you have.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the old style Gerbings jacket and gloves and I’m happy with them, but some of my riding buddies have switched to Warm and Safe heated gear and they insist it’s better stuff.

I use the heated grips even when the weather is in the 60s because my hands get cold easily. If your hands tend to get cold easily, then heated gloves are the way to go when it’s cold out (IMO).

·
Registered
851 Posts
I also have an old style Gerbing jacket. Works fine. Not sense changing. I wear lined gloves with my heated grips so the top of my hands are relatively warm. You may wish to check Craigs List for a used set of heated gear. Much less expensive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts