GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure I've seen this particular problem about the heated seats and grips posted here before.

I took my 06 comfort package GW to the dealer on Jan 2. The seat did not work at all and the grips only worked intermittently. They had the bike for 3 days and said there was nothing wrong with it and to pick it up. I told them that there was something wrong because they worked in the past. The service manager swore that their "best tech" sat on it for 45 minutes with the engine running and everything thing worked fine. I took the bike to the far end of the parking lot and ran it for about 3 minutes until the heaters went off again. I took it directly to the service manager and of course he and his "best tech" were stunned that they did not work.

10 days later I called and the SM said the heater control modual was bad and needed to be replaced, it would take a few days to get the part and get me back on the road. A few days passed and now he tells me there are some broken wires in the right grip which is causing the the system to short out. AGAIN it would take a few days to get the parts and get me back on the road.

Last night he called and said the bike was ready to go. He said HONDA told him that they are having problems with the wires breaking in the right grip causing the grips and the seat heaters to fail. SM said HONDA knows they have a problem and will fix it.

After all the time I've spent reading this board the last few months I don't think I've heard of this particular problem. It took the dealer and his "best tech" over 3 weeks to fix this problem what is supposed to be very common.

Any comment.........sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Heated grips in Corona..?? HAHAHA!! Just kidding. I lived down there before.

Mine work good. No problems.

My 06' Goldwing front brakes were squeeking like crazy until today when my local Honda dealer (Taylor Motorsports) fixed it for me. 2 hours of brake repair at NO CHARGE! Thank you Honda!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 06 lost all the heat one day. Took it to the local dealer. Right grip bad. Had it back in my garage in three days.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Jake,
Sorry about your "long term" problem.
Yeah, I think it's a common problem.
No, I don't know if the heater failure is....
But it sure seems like the "dealer service" can be at some places.
Here's what I've found....
If the Dealer sells lots of dirt bikes and foe-wheelers (or even 4-wheelers,
for the articulate among us),
and does a few street bikes and maybe even a Wing or two each year....
well, you can be pretty sure it's gonna be a "in-shop training session",
with the assistance of the customer's Wing, when anything beyond oil, filter and tires comes through.
Dealers with full service shops and a history of supporting the local Wing groups,
generally stand a better chance of looking professional under pressure.
When it comes to "intermittent" problems, especially with electrical,
I can tell you that anyone can get disoriented by the GoldWing electrical maze.
Hope it works well for you from here on.
I appreciate your sharing the story as I will keep a close eye on those items on mine now.
DC

·
Registered
123 Posts
scatergunjake mine had the same problem. I got my 06 in Feb. and it
quit in March. The dealer fixed it over night along with new tires, cb, ant.
and left saddle bag latch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dream Catcher

That is the situation in this case. This dealer sells a ton of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. He might sell 5 wings a year. I did not buy the wing from him, but from a dealer in Kansas. I don't know it that figures into it or not. I feel that it was on the job training when it came to fixing this problem. I hope the next guy benefits from my frustration.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
Hey Jake,
Sorry about your "long term" problem.
Yeah, I think it's a common problem.
No, I don't know if the heater failure is....
But it sure seems like the "dealer service" can be at some places.
Here's what I've found....
If the Dealer sells lots of dirt bikes and foe-wheelers (or even 4-wheelers,
for the articulate among us),
and does a few street bikes and maybe even a Wing or two each year....
well, you can be pretty sure it's gonna be a "in-shop training session",
with the assistance of the customer's Wing, when anything beyond oil, filter and tires comes through.
Dealers with full service shops and a history of supporting the local Wing groups,
generally stand a better chance of looking professional under pressure.
When it comes to "intermittent" problems, especially with electrical,
I can tell you that anyone can get disoriented by the GoldWing electrical maze.
Hope it works well for you from here on.
I appreciate your sharing the story as I will keep a close eye on those items on mine now.
DC
DC,
Your exactly right. There is one Honda dealer to the north of me thats like that. The whole place is overflowing with 4 wheelers and dirtbikes. Backwoods ******** are in there by the dozen driving they're jacked up camo monster trucks and gawking at them there 4 wheelers. Say'in things like: Yee haw Billy Bob looky here at this'n rig, gost ta git me a couple of deez heer mosheens!! :roll: Or: Hey boy, you ort ta put sum knobbies on that thair motorsycle If'ns yous gunna hunt off it. They only have 1 GW in the showroom and its been there for about a year. :shock: I would NEVER allow them to do anything to my bike, warranty or otherwise, period.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My 06, the heat would not work, took it to my Dealer in Decatur, Al. A call to Honda and a couple of hours later it worked and has ever since, Some plug was not seated properly making a bad connection and it work a little, but now works prefect. Yesterday 20 degrees and my hands and butt was toasty warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts