GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question regarding the Hot Grips yesterday! After reviewing current and past posts in this regards and calling the Grip Manufacture, I have a couple more questions.

I purchased the current grips from Big Bike. 1st the kit includes extra crap that is really meant for handle bar mounting for different applications. 2nd the control switch included with kit requires a hole be drilled just to the right of the control switch through the panel, as the switch is a surface mount (adhesive backed) (cheap looking). I have taken it apart; apparently it has a thermostatic board inside. A hole drilled into that panel will look tacky as far as I’m concerned. Also the instructions make no mention of any adhesive to be used as pervious posts have mentioned. Is this a must?
I have noted that Dual-star grips have been mentioned & I have gone to their web page. What I see is a heating element that goes under a set of Grips. Question has anyone that has installed them taken any pictures of finished installation showing how the cabling coming out from the panels looks like. The Hondaline & Big Bike Grips both have nice molded cabling from their grips.
Has anyone ordered the stock Hondaline switch separately replacing any other manufactures switch setup? If so has it worked with after market Grips. What was the P/N?
I hate to pay the Honda price for their heated Grips especially if what I read about having to have them replace during warranty is common. The problem exists after the warranty does expire I’d have to replace them myself. Money out of my pocket!
I just hate drill extra holes if I don’t have to and want the stock look I guess I’m just finicky

:blw1:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I installed the Dual Star elements under my Kury-Iso grips. The three wires coming off of the grips are incased in rubber and when tucked under the bars are nearly invisible. I used the glue from Dual Star rather than the glue that came with the grips. Dual Star glue has an extended working life while the glue that came with grips says working time is very short.

I purchased a DT lighted switch from E/C along with a single bezel. Makes for a very professional installation (IMHO). I installed it with the large indicator for High and the small indicator for Low. That way the wife can tell with a slight glance which mode the grips are in even in the dark.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have a set of Kury ISO Grips on the way. I'm wondering if I should hold off on the installation and get a set of the heat pads? Do you think it was a worthwhile investment?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Larry all you need for the BigBikes heated grips is a simple On/Off switch. They put out so little heat that you will likely need it all if you ever need to use them below 40 or 50 deg.
I put on a set to use while getting my Hot Grip for the left side replaced, had to ship in the old one for the warranty. I found that the Show Chrome / BigBikes grips are worth about what you pay for them, very little. Forget about using the controller and simply wire them in parallel through a SPST swirch through a fuse and relay, operated by the Acc term, to the battery.

Jerry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Returning Grips!!!

Jerry, the way I hear then the Big Bike Grips really don't get that hot! I guess it's better to find out now that to install them and find out that I have made a mistake on time effort & money to install them. I'll be returning them ASAP & order the Dual Star setup. I also found that they have a variable controller that in addtion to the low and high with a standard off, low, high switch will give a person variable control thru out each setting, that maybe a hot ticket also!
I liked Jim's idea also about the Kury-Iso grips, they really look alot better than the plain old stock setup.
This sure will safe me time in the long run! Thx guys for the help!
:blw1: :yes:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i did a lot of reading on three goldwing boards, and then used some of my personal experiences.

i came up with the following. i like my kury iso grips, and no heater does a good job of getting them warm enough to suit me. also the grips will not help the back of my hands.

my solution was to get a great pair of those gerbings gloves and be done with the cheap way out. now i can enjoy more rideing in miserable weather. i am fine else where, but with diabetes, my hands get colder than they used to .

for me, the heated gloves are the best choice.

loren

·
Registered
82 Posts
I already have the Kury iso grips installed but want to install the Dual Star system. Anyone know how to safely remove the grips without detroying them to install dual star?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The Dual Star setup under the Kuryakyn ISo-grips is an awesome setup! I removed my old Hondaline heated grips and used the existing grip controller with the Dual Star units (This allows variable heat not just a two pisition switch)..................very nice and alot of heat.
Well worth it IMHO.
Picture below shows the grips with the Dual Star units............you can see the wire if you look close..................

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK guys, I have the Honda OEM heated grips instaled at the dealer when I got my bike, I also have diabeties and apreciate the heat on the hands......any way I don't set my control above the second red dot [4 dots possable] because they get to hot for me even with thinsulate leather gloves but I do have the baker mirrior wings and that deflects a great deal of the cold moving air away from my hands. The grips even get hot at cold startup in the morning at ilde [when the temp gage reads normal the grips are hot], from what I read and hear this isn't normal.
Well that's my 2 Cents worth.

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts