GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I turned on my grips and seat at the same time. The seat got warm but the grips did not. I rode for about 45 minutes. When I rode a week or so ago the rips worked but I did not turn on the seat. I replaced the left grip last spring. Also, I have grip puppies on the bike so the grips never get anything close to "hot." Any ideas?

BTW: The bike is a 2009 with 38K on it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Today I turned on my grips and seat at the same time. The seat got warm but the grips did not. I rode for about 45 minutes. When I rode a week or so ago the rips worked but I did not turn on the seat. I replaced the left grip last spring. Also, I have grip puppies on the bike so the grips never get anything close to "hot." Any ideas?

BTW: The bike is a 2009 with 38K on it.

First idea.....I have run grip puppies for years.....I don't think they have anything to do with it one way or the other.
Second idea.....Go for a ride with only the grips on for about 20/30 min. and leave the saddle "off". If the grips work for only about 10 min or so you have probably lost that left grip again. If they never come on then you know the problem is PROBABLY in the grip circuit. If they work for 20/30 min., then turn on the seat and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next test

I let it idle for 15 minutes with just the grips on and they worked fine. Today I'm hoping to go for a 30 minute ride to see if they keep working. After that, I'll try the seat.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Results

First idea.....I have run grip puppies for years.....I don't think they have anything to do with it one way or the other.
Second idea.....Go for a ride with only the grips on for about 20/30 min. and leave the saddle "off". If the grips work for only about 10 min or so you have probably lost that left grip again. If they never come on then you know the problem is PROBABLY in the grip circuit. If they work for 20/30 min., then turn on the seat and see what happens.
I ran the grips for about 30 minutes and they worked OK. I then turned the seat on and that killed the grips. I turned the bike off and back on and then the grips worked again. When I turned the seat on, it did work even when the grips did not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just repaired mine

The passenger seat back wasn't working, due to broken wires in the trunk hinge area. The symptom was the grips would turn off about 10-15 minutes after starting to ride if the passenger seat controller was turned on. All five of the wires that run to the dummy harness in the trunk lid were also broken. Needless to say I didn't fix them, and expect there to be less stiffness in the harness now that I clipped them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts