GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the land of snow.... (at least it was the last time I looked): :cry:

I bought a 2001 wing and installed the heated grips in 02, well in 03 the controller fried, moisture was the culprit.

Does Honda sell replacement controllers? I noticed on the 06 that the controller is different. Are they compatible? Can you order just the controller for the 06 grips :?:

Thanks for any and all help... :)

Impatiently waiting for spring!

Frank

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I also have a bad controller. I would be willing to buy yours for a cheap price and see if I can make one good one from the pair. I have checked with multiple dealers and finally with a friend at Honda. The controller for the pre-2006 bikes is not available seperately. You have to buy the whole $300 kit. The 2006 grips and controller are available as seperate parts. I have not had a chance to look at a 2006 controller and see if it could be modified to work in an earlier model.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If these don't work out you can buy the BBP set up and use their controller. A little rewiring and your good to go. The controller is a clone of the OEM one, wired a litttle different and I am not sure about the low voltage turn off, but the case is exactly the same.

If any one who is not electrically inclined wants to voulenteer a BBP controller and their bad OEM one I will produce a "how to" picture show to rewire the BBP.

Awhile ago I offered to attemp to repair some "if possible". I have also developed a substitute circuit to replace the guts of the controller but it is very time consuming to make. If anyone doesn't want their old "bad" controllers I'll pay for shipping. Maybe I'll get around to making a bunch of replacement boards to help others out since this looks like the problem is growing.

FWIW I use mine almost every time I ride and I think this helps keep the condensation down.

Jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts