GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode ta Pensacola & back this weekend & on th way there at 43* in th rain my Honda Heated grips quit workin. I looked for ah fuse & all th fuses were good. Any suggestions folks? I sure thought there was ah fuse somewhere for th heated grips? :mrgreen: My service manual seems ta be of no help.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I don't have heated anything, but is there a plug somewhere in the wiring that could have come apart ???

just a thought

·
Registered
994 Posts
I seem to remember someone posting that Honda's heated grips have an inline fuse behind the right pocket. Try searching on heated grips or some variation.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for th replys folks, Jim i do remember seein ah fuse under th right pocket, i believe yer right about it bein for th heated grips. After readin yer post i went & checked it & its good. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Ron,
Take a volt meter and check to see if you have voltage in to the controller, if so check the voltage coming out of the controller.
Its possible that the controller has failed, if its not just a connection problem.

boB

·
Registered
41 Posts
First off, if you had them installed less than a year ago, let the dealer deal with them. If not, what you need to do is trace the wire coming down the right handle bar to the bullet connector. Unplug the connector and check for resistance. If either of the plugs show open, then the grip itself is bad. Either grip by itself will take down both grips. Hopefully, you already checked the little fuse in the white plastic housing, usually located somewhere under the right pocket. Most likely, one of the grips died, and hopefully you are still under warranty, cause there are no replacement parts that I am aware of. You will most likely be buying a new kit, and then you will have some spare parts. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
My buddy Gene had his Honda heated grips quit working, turned out to be mice had chewed the wires off. 43 degrees must be nice!

·
Registered
227 Posts
My heated grips quit working the third or fourth time I used them. Wasn't a fuze - they had to replace the entire system. Since then I've used them about four more times, and now they've quit again. This is an incredibly high failure rate. I doubt that the total time on those heated grips (both sets, soon to be a third) exceeds two hours.

Hey, my tach is starting to stick again too!

Good thing I love this bike.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Question for the heated grip failures, what adhesive was used to install them. I am just wondering if it could be a cause factor? I used standard honda grip adhesive, but mine have not failed yet.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gl03

They were put on at th shop by th mechanics at th dealer. Don't know what they used for grip adhesive but th left one was always lose.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
126 Posts
My grips went out this week. Took it to the dealer and of course they worked. Rode it out and they worked for 20- minutes, then quit.

Looked at the troubleshooting section, 1) if the wires and cables are connected securely, 2)grips show resistance between the terminals and 3) if the harness shows continuity then it is the switch thats bad(it contains an IC circuit).

I used mine a couple times last winter and used them once this winter. Mine were installed by a dealer at the time of delivery and they're covered for the original 3 year warranty.

So back to the dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I installed my grips I first made a test they were ok. They was. When the install was done they didn´t. I begun trubbleshooting and tried all the tips per instruktion. I charged the battery and iddled in 1500rpm for 10 minutes. No luck. Not intil a really was driving the bike they started working again. I then understood some lines in the instructions about the connector near the right pocket being routed by a circuit that could disconnect in case of low battery capacity in order to save power for primary use. This is speculations but maybe the circuit are a little slow to switch back on. It could in that case be interesting to feed the 12V connector for the grips directly from the battery. EC Lewis! What would you say? Are you with me :idea: ? Or :banghead: ?

Janne.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Riding4Work:

Your situation is a mirror of mine. My dealer installed a new set for me at no charge in October after only 3 months use the previous riding season, the switch was bad. Honda apparently has an issue with the switch design, I've seen several individuals with the same problem. As long as I have warranty left on the GL1800 my grips will be covered.

The catch is whether the Genuine Honda Accessory was installed by an authorized Honda dealer or not, if it was take it back to the dealer and show him the attached warranty info:

http://www.davidwest.us/downloads/warranty_info.pdf

-David

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David

I had th dealer where i bought my bike install my heated grips almost three years ago. I also got ah copy of th warranty booklet when i bought my 01 Wing. I expect everything ta go smoothly, my dealer is GREAT! Honda Yamaha of Memphis. :mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts