GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took an afternoon ride to Estes Park yesterday thru Glen Haven and the switchbacks. The mountains were awesome, the clouds looked like waterfalls coming over the mtn. tops (sorry, no pics) but anyway, got home and sat in front of the fireplace for an hour to get my hands warmed back up. With winter riding coming on and my annual new year's group ride for anyone brave enough to do it, I decided it's time to get something to keep my hands and fingers from turning white and blue and feeling like chunks of wood. What's the best choice? Heated Gloves or Heated Grips?

·
Registered
65 Posts
good question, i have both...... Heated Gloves hands down!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Depends on how much dexterity you like. I have heated grips with pretty thin gloves. My hands stay warm for sure. I have a pair of thicker gloves kinda like Gerbings. I dont have any type of finger dexterity with them at all. Thats my .02 cents.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Well, I bought the Gerbing gloves first. Like others I found them to be pretty bulky, but they were warm. They ought to be for $190 bucks. Then I bought the grip heaters (install under your grips) from Electrical Connection for $50 bucks. They are better in most cases. A nice set of leather gloves and the grip heaters, keep my hands more than warm enough in all tems down to freezing.
Like Yellow Wolf said they are also great because they are always there. Nice to have on cool evenings even in the summer. Very comfortable with summer weight gloves, or half finger gloves also.
Want to buy a nice pair of Gerbing gauntlet style gloves? NOT
Buy the grip heaters first.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the cheap grip heaters that HDL has. Work fine for 90% of the riding I do. With light mesh gloves they warm you righ up down to 50 or so. Below that, I have a heavy set of Hein Gerickes that do a good job. Harder to feel the heat through them though. If I ever win a bid for less than a hundred on EBay, I'm gonna try some gloves. Been a time or two when I started out on a 1000 mile run in the 30's where I'll bet they would be better.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Having had both and at the same time....the Gloves are the warmest, hands down ( pun intended)...have a 07 now with the comfort set up and still have the Gerbings hooked up, I love the Gerbings...

The grips are neat because, as some have said, they're always there....

But for warm hands, Gerbings are the best, heck, might as well get the whole shebang, jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and socks, be prepared!!!!

Christmas is coming up, be good and ask Santa... :wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with both. I have both. The grips do well up to a certain point, then the gloves take me from there. I even used both at the same time once (yeah, it was cold).

Carl

G

·
I had heated grips installed when new back in '03.

I wear a full glove, but if cold enough, my hands inside get hot, and the outside and my thumbs get cold.

Maybe a glove that's heavier would work better, maybe both.

But there are only 18-20 times per year that I really use heated grips.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have both but don't use the gloves since I installed grips. As previously stated, they are always there and you don't have to wrap yourself in wires and controllers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use my heat grips a lot in summer as I don't like to ride with gloves on in summer. When it is raining I especially like them as they help to provide a better grip. I found they don't help to much in winter if you have a real heavy glove on. I am going to Gerbing's heat gloves for temps below 45 or so. Don't like the bulk but I really heat cold hands and fingers. If you are cold it takes a lot of the fun out of the ride.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I have the heated grips on my 2006 and they are nice but if it's really cold the top of my hand and especially my fingertips get cold. I'm planning on getting a set of Gerbings including heated gloves. I've never used heated gloves before but I think they would work better to keep your whole hand warmer.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've got both. I had the gloves before I got the grips, and I haven't plugged the gloves in since the grips came along. I'll probably need to plug the gloves in sometime - I've only tried the grips down to 30 degrees...

Grips (from EC) ~$50; gloves >$130; warm hands - PRICELESS! :lol:

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
with heated grips i have done some pretty long cold rides with temps down to ZERO, with just heated grips and yes my hands do get a little cold sometimes but i would never want to give up the heated grips, heated grips are much more convenient than messing with heated gloves and hooking up the extra wires

after saying all that i do have to say for some of the long cold rides (below 30 for a few hundred miles) heated gloves would b nice

i say the best choice would b to start with the heated grips, u will b amazed, your estes park ride yesterday would have been even more enjoyable with simple heated grips, both electrical connection and Hondas are plug and play and work great

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I had the heated grips first and although they are good, when riding in very cold weather, the tops of my hands got very cold. Heated gloves with thermostat now and I can cook lunch in the gloves while riding. Bought heated socks yeaterday. Hope to put hot dogs in my boots so at the end of a ride we'll all have lunch.

Wonder why I ride alone?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I may as well put my 2 cents in. I just got the full gerbing suit. I wanted the G3 gloves but they had none in stock yet. I have tried lots of gloves and have never had anything that would keep my fingers warm in the winter. Big full gloves make me feel like I dont have a good grip on the bars and also make my wrists ache. Anyway I bought the glove liners. They are the heating elements on a liner and you put your other gloves over them. They cost 80 bucks. I put them in my leather/thinsulate cheap gloves and I was in love the instant I turned on the controller. I really think I can ride in sub sero weather now. I also have the show chrome heated grips but have not installed them yet. One CAUTION when buying Gerbing clothes. They are sized weird. Go where you can try them on. The only listed place in Utah as a Gerbing dealer was BMW of Salt Lake. They were pleasant to deal with.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Down to 40 deg I use the grips, but when it's colder the backs of my hands get very cold so the Gerbings go on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Heated grips are great for most cold weather riding unless you plan on riding in the extreme cold.

I find the grips do me fine down to the mid 20 degree mark if I use light gloves.

The nicest thing about heated grips is that you will end up using them even on summer nights.

Your hands may not even be cold but if you turn the heated grips on they just make you feel better.

You will find the same true with a heated seat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts