GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering removing the heated grips because long term riding they are hard and uncomfortable, and installing the ISO's which seem perfect.

Would like to safely remove the existing factory heated grips without destroying them and unplugging them from wherever they plug in.

Am inquiring from anyone who has removed theirs. Can they be saved, and can I use a slim screwdriver and break the glue holding them onto the handlebars without tearing up the heating elements?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
707 Posts
BassPro... Speaking from recent experience, You have to remove the top shelter, and all related parts to get to the plugs on the right side. I used the most presision touch, the care of a surgeon, the knowledge on the entire Honda Service DVD, and totally destroyed my left grip. My recommendation would be to listen to some advice from others. I won't do it again!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I removed mine to put the Kurys on, I just cut the wires and taped them. I destroyed the left side removing it, and ordered a new sleeve from HDL so I could save the right side, worked great, now if I ever want to put them back all I have to do is buy the left side. I prefer the comfortable feel of the Kuryakyn grips to the stock and can do without the heat in the grips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts