GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '09 Wing w/Comfort Pkg. I've got approx. 500 mi. on it & it's performed flawlessly, until today.

The grips & seat have heated just fine, until today.

I went on a 250 mi. Patriot Guard ride today, leaving this am @ 38 degrees. The grips & seat heated like they should. My Gerbings kept my toes warm. All is well -or- so I thought.

About an hr. into the trip this morning I noticed my grips were not heating anymore. My seat heated just fine for the remainder of the trip. Ditto for my socks.

Upon return home, I searched the archives here & read the seat & grips are in series & fused on the same fuse ? I checked all fuses - couldn't find any blown. Since there's not that many fuses, I pulled'em all, one-by-one. Nothing blown.

I did remove the seat yesterday to install a trailer hitch. I "thought" I snapped the plug together until it snapped, nice'n'tightly. Is it possible the plug's not connected good - to allow the grips to stop working, yet the seat still works ?

My local dealer has very, very little experience w/Goldwings....... his bread'n'butter are dirt bikes...... Any suggestions/help to track down my grip/heat problem would sure be appreciated.

DW Taylor / '09 Wing / Farmington, MO

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have found that if I turn off my heated grips and seat at the same time, the seat feels like it stays on long after I turn it off. Maybe my rear end just holds heat better than my hands, but the seat does not cool off as fast as the grips. Could it be that the connector came unplugged and it just felt like the seat was still heating? Just a thought. I'd definitely pull the seat and check the connector before digging any deeper.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat was a real bear to align & re-seat itself....... We've gotta few days of cold rain mixed w/snow coming in - I'll have plenty of time to check out the coupler. Maybe by the time it warms up again I'll have the seat back on & aligned !

·
Registered
240 Posts
Check that you did not wind the control knob to the off/low position for the grips. They are in series and if one fails nothing works.:eek:4:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
To help you with the seat install or uninstall...take the back rest off. It is only the two screws and the heater plug. Takes 2 secs and the seat goes on and comes off much easlier too. Don't forget to check your rubbers that they don't drop out or get turned sideways.

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mine to

MY 08 DID the same thing and the grips had to be replaced,I guess when one goes everything that follows goes,my left grip tested bad was replaced and then the DEALER replaced both grips now everything is working fine,for now anyway.GOOD LUCK,The service rep fr Honda also stated the plug behind the left saddlebag is being damaged during installation on some bikes so they checked that and theres a bunch of relays behind that same saddlebag that were tested.Seems to be a common problem on these bikes,to bad cuz when they are working they are a great feature to have.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Recheck the connecter. Opening the trunk allows for more room.

My '07 acted like yours when it was new and then worked fine for 35k miles. It started acting up on our trip to FL this month.

I isolated it to the drivers seat causing the problems. Called the Honda shop, told them about it, and that I didn't think I could have it there when it wasn't working. He said fine, bring it in, and they would put a new seat under warantee. They would charge me for cutting in the backrest.

·
Registered
356 Posts
They would charge me for installing my backrest into the new seat.
Was there a reason for charging for the seat back? I am confused. :confused:

Edit: Never mind, I think I just figured it out. You have a drivers backrest that is one of those fancy kind that slides down into the seat after you cut a hole in the seat for the backrest. Eh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts