GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting some heated grips for my '05 wing but cringe at the price of the OEM grips. Are there any others that work as well or even better for less $$$ ? thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Dual Star Heat pads under Kury ISOs... Love it!
But If I did it again I would probably get the heat pads from Electrical Connection (plug-N-play!).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
heated grips

I have the oem and they work great but i think i will get the Kuryakyn iso grip with heaters under them for looks.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I have the EC grip heaters under my ISO Grips and they work very well. I like the size and looks of the ISO and never did want the OEM heated grips. Need to be pretty careful in installing the EC heaters under the ISO's, but when completed they work well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I installed my EC heaters under my stock OE grips two years ago. They work great. Had only one issue with the rocker switch at the end of the first season. Lewis fixed me up quickly with a new one.

Kirk

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I don't think anyone has been able to say with any facts to which one works better. I had the Honda Heated Grips. Fantastic.

One thing that leads me to believe the Honda Heated Grips work better are that I've seen on this board many times that folks will say that the ones that are not Honda only work good till about 30 degree's or so then they like to have Gerbings or some other heated glove. But there have been a couple folks with the Honda grips (myself included) that say the Honda grips were all they needed down into the teens, with no need to use heated gloves. I've ridden into the teens with just the grips, never going above 80% on and never felt the need for heated gloves.

I have to imagine having the heating element actually inside the grips themselves, instead of under, that the HONDA works better.

I believe though the only way to really prove which heats better is to have one of those laser temp. readers, and a couple bikes next to each other each with a different type of heated grip and then do tests.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
FUSE said:
I don't think anyone has been able to say with any facts to which one works better. I had the Honda Heated Grips. Fantastic.

One thing that leads me to believe the Honda Heated Grips work better are that I've seen on this board many times that folks will say that the ones that are not Honda only work good till about 30 degree's or so then they like to have Gerbings or some other heated glove. But there have been a couple folks with the Honda grips (myself included) that say the Honda grips were all they needed down into the teens, with no need to use heated gloves. I've ridden into the teens with just the grips, never going above 80% on and never felt the need for heated gloves.

I have to imagine having the heating element actually inside the grips themselves, instead of under, that the HONDA works better.

I believe though the only way to really prove which heats better is to have one of those laser temp. readers, and a couple bikes next to each other each with a different type of heated grip and then do tests.
For me it is much more than which one heats the best -- the grip also has to fit my hand properly as most of the time the heater is not on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have Hot Grips with their variable controller. Cost about $115. Work great but the grips aren't very pretty. If I had it to do over again I'd go with the EC grip heaters or something like them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed a set of EC grip heaters last January. They were a Christmas gift, my wife bought them based on price and EC company reputation. I installed them in about an hour thanks to the grip removal tips posted on this forum.
They work great. Most of the time I run them on low. If I need high heat to start out, I usually turn them to low after a half-hour or so. I should mention I also have Tulsa mirror wings to deflect air away from my hands and I wear gloves in all weather, though they're summer-weight gloves. With grip heaters on, often when I get home my hands are warmer than when I started out.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Hondaline and would buy them again. I have never had them turned the whole way up.....too hot! But they work well and look good

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
heated grips

the OEM grips work great i wore summer gloves all winter the grip work flawlessly but they are small and don't look as good as the ISO grips fro Kuryakyn.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I have the Honda heated grips on my 03 because I like the way the stock size grips feel and look. I don't care for chrome grips on the Wing. I paid the money at the time for the Honda heated grips because, I like how the Honda temp controller looks on the right lower fairing panel... just looks nice to me, plus the Honda controller keeps the heat at the same level of heat and just doesn't keep building heat. The Honda grips work great with lots of heat output, with never a need for full power and they will get too hot when they are on full power.

I have installed a set of EC heated grips on my friends Wing under the Kury chrome grips. The Kury chrome grips came off easily and the EC heat panels installed easily. The EC comes with a high and low switch for the heat. My friends says heated panels work very well under the Kury Grips with lots of heat.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just ordered the EC heaters. Was told they are back-ordered with no ETA available at this time. :cry: I'll be removing my Kurk ISO's and re-installing. Hope the WD-40 trick works taking off the grips without damage.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I bought the El Cheapo $60 Big Bike grips and had them for over a year before I got around to installing them. I didn't like where everyone was installing the controller, wanted a dedicated switched circuit and knew I would need to cut and splice the wires. So, I waited until I got my aux fuse block from EC and decided on a location I could live with. I JB Welded it to the bottom of the left bar controls. Easy to adjust and the wires are in the bar wiring chase. Made for a clean install. I don't like fat soft grips. These are close to the OEM std. grips and fit me. I can't say how they compare with the Honda heated but work plenty good for me. I've used them down to low 20's and could go all day with them and my insulated gloves. Surprisingly where I really appreciate them are when my mesh gloves get wet at around 50 deg. Makes them feel nice and warm all over. I rarely use them at full heat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts