GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to install a set of Heated grips to my 2002 GL 1800. I have looked at the service manual for the location of the connector to plug the grips into. The set has the stock Honda type connectors, however even after looking at the service manual I cannot seem to locate particular connect. Has anyone completed the installation themselves and perhaps took a pic of the connector or the harness in that area. Thanks for the assist! :roll:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Been a few months back. Just remember the connection by the control panel on the right. Give a little more detail, might jog the memory. Had no problems locating the install points. 03 bike.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just got mine out to plug a socket into it.

its way up there on the right, if you take the mirror off, it almost falls out. the slack is only about an inch. how are you at contorsions.

loren

·
Registered
13 Posts
Larry,

The plug is way up in the right corner near the mirror, just a Loren said, but only on the 'o1 and 'o2's. Honda changed the location on the '03 and '04's to down close to the radiator to make it more accessable. There is not enough room to get 2 hands up in that tiny corner. I finally managed to grab the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers and pushed the other connector up in there until it started going on and then finished snapping it together with one hand. Not easy to do but it can be done. Hope this helps.

Roy

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Larry: Just installed mine over the weekend...as the others have said, the plug is up near the right mirror. Certainly not easy to reach but I was able to connect the two using only my left hand. A couple of side notes... (1) if you are installing the Honda Heated Grips, be sure to slide the grips onto the bars the correct distance as there is a spacer that goes between the grips and the weights and little room for error...(2) the 45mm hole saw suggested is a bit too big...I used an 1 1/2 inch hole saw and sanded out just enough to allow the dial to fit easily. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot Grips

Thanks for all the input to this installation. From all the comments it sounds like another typical electrical installation. Every electrical install that I have done to the bike the short time I've had it has been a chore.
I'm wondering now that I've heard about the short harness length, if it wouldn't be a good idea while I'm installing to get some connectors from EC or have them make a short harness to drop the location to a easier spot for future access!

:blw1: :flg: :caesar:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts