GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered and apologise for posting but searches not working on the old boards - at least for me

I would like some input on heated grips:

What do you use/recommend - Honda? Hotgrips? Custom Heat? Other?

Do you epoxy them on as Hotgrips recommends?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I bought HotGrips 2 years ago for 1/2 the price Honda wanted and individual parts are available if needed. The HotGrips have an optional varriable controller that makes getting the right heat range easy. If you have a hard time doing wiring have someone do it for you and use a Relay in the circuit with a fuse to the battery. Power the Relay form the accessory terminal and if you are like me put a switch in the circuit to make sure it is off.
The Honda heated grips are rather costly but they do plug into an existing power plug. However be warned that many have had problems with Audio Noise being generated by both the Honda and HotGrips with the Pulse Width Modulated Controllers they use when going through the main wiring harness. The Noise problem is inherant with Pulse Width Modulated circuits that are run in parallel with other wiring and is normaly cured by running independent or seperated wiring.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I had the same results as Jerry with Hot Grips. Both Honda or Hot Grips will cause audio noise if connected to the factory power hook-up under the right pocket. Wire as Jerry said and you will be OK. Yes I used epoxy to mount the grips on both this bike and my 1500. These grips get too hot on the high setting so make sure you get the controller.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I went with the Dual Star heated grip wraps http://www.dual-star.com

Only $30, one heck of a great deal. They have an low-off-hi switch, easy install. I use them under my Kury ISO grips. I ordered the grip glue from dual star, they said it was good for the heated grips.

I've had them for over a year and had no problems.

Great bargain!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Jim

I bought and installed the Hondaline heated grips about 1 1/2 years ago. Living in Canada I get to use them a lot. I can't say anything about hot grips because I don't have them but the Hondaline grips are great and I like the integrated look. I agree they are expensive but what Honda accessory isn't.

·
Registered
561 Posts
IB Mike said:
I went with the Dual Star heated grip wraps http://www.dual-star.com

Only $30, one heck of a great deal.
For another $45 it looks like that have a variable heat controller for dash or Velcro mounting. It might not be as "integrated" but the price sure beats Hondaline.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Heated Grips

I have the Hondaline grips, I had the Hot Grips on another bike, they didn't last long, however Hot Grips did replace them with a new set. So far the Hondaline grips are great. It is nice having the heat control in easy reach where it can be seen. :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
I installed a set of Oxford grips - they came with the epoxy glue and were very hard to install - tight fit . The left grip was defective and the company I purchase it from would not answer emails or the phone.
I installed some standard grips and got a set of the wrap arounds - they work great and I can just unplug them and put them in the right pocket.
I was able to use the controls and wiring from the first set so the install on the wrap arounds was easy and only took 15 min or so.

The place I bought the bad grips was www.lockitt.com - I think they operate out a a garage or downstairs next to the furnace as there are only two people I dealt with and they are never there.

Good = ebay

I paid $85 for the defects and $30 for the ones that work. both were Oxford brand.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have had the OEM dealer installed heated grips since Jan 01. No noise, never any problems, but expensive. I also have Gerbing heated gloves, they a work a little better for keeping the hands warm, but are stiff and uncomfortable, so I usually use the heated grips and lighter gloves. It became a little more comfortable on the back of the hands wwith the light gloves and heated grips when I added the convex mirrors from ChrisCo to deflect some of the draft. Just like most of the add-ons - there are ups and downs, take your pick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts