GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 with a custom "non-heated" seat. I just covered the wiring for the seat with electrical tape.

My heated grips do not work. Does the Honda heated seat have to be connected to make the grips work? Is there a way around this as I don't want to give up my custom seat?

Thanks, Jimmy

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Yes it does, unfortunately.

I just checked with Electrical Connection and they don't have any sort of adapter at this time. Todd said Lewis talked about it a while back but figured there probably wouldn't be enough interest to create whatever was needed.

Good luck finding something.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep been there done that, the grips will not function without the seat. All rigged in series with the heat controller.

Kit

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yes, but you can get around it by putting in resistors in the plug under the seat and fool it, and the grips will work. Do a search for making grips heat with out seat installed. Others have figured out which pins to connect the resistors to and how large of resistors you need to make it work.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Here is a copy of a post from 2007 on this board.

Ray N. had a solution ...
I saved it last time it was posted:

Making the heated grips work without the heated seat

A friend of mine put an Ultimate seat on his 06 Goldwing and I did the
following to make his heated grips work.

I placed 4 - 160k resistors between the following pins on the seat plug connector:

Pin 3 to pin 7
Pin 3 to pin 10
Pin 6 to pin 4
Pin 6 to pin 8

This replaces the seat thermistors with fixed resistors and
the heat control unit allows the heated grips to work.

I believe any resistor between 40k and 200k will work. I picked 160k
because it is the thermistor value at 0 degrees C.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
That's the thread that had the numbers and size of resistors. Red, from Clearwater, did this and said it worked.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU!!! :bow::bow::thumbup::coffee1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts