GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now Im taking a long hard look at heated liners (pants and jacket), and am pretty-well decided on either First Gear or Warm & Safe Gen 3 (the same product). However, the next decision I have to make is on controllers.

Is there any HUGE advantage of the dual controller over the single controller? I understand that if I have the single unit, the heat in both jacket and pants (or gloves) will be the same. Also, can all three (or four) items..., jacket, pants, gloves, socks, espresso machine, etc., be plugged into a single controller?

Is there any advantage over the mounted and semi-mounted controller?

For the driver, where do you have the controller(s) mounted, and where have you routed the connector plug-in?

Same for the passenger..., where's the best place to install the controller(s), and where have you routed the connector plug-in?

Thanks for suggestions, advice, and especially pictures, about installations.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
If you run a liner, gloves, pants, etc A dual controller should be used. It also allow two items to be controlled seperately.

What style of controller you use is a personal preference. The mounted heat troller requires you to drill two small holes into the fairing to mount the control knobs. It's a nice clean looking mount.

The semi mounted unit allows you to mount the control knob box wherever you want without drilling into the fairing. You can velcro it or cable tie whever you want. You can also easily move it if you want

No right or wrong way to run the cables, Some go along the frame, under the seat, whatever you find works best.

A portable heat troller works great for a passenger. That way they have the controls right next to them.

Here's some mounting ideas from the Warm & Safe factory website.
http://www.warmnsafe.com/mounting_ideas.php

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Brian,

One of the disadvantages of the Warn and Safe Permanent controllers is the lack of a "quick release" at the controller end. The Gerbing controller has the ability to unplug the controller from the cables so you can remove the top-shelter or whatever else you have the controller mounted to. Warm and Safe does not have that capability.

If you get the Warm and Safe liners, fine, but I would stick with the Gerbing controls if you decide on permanent controls.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Controller

I'm not very happy with Gerbing's controllers right now!

I just made a trip up to Traxxion in Woodstock GA, then up to the Bushtec Factory in Jacksboro, TN.

The controller worked for the first 2-3 hours of the ride then half of it DIED leaving me with no heat on that side.

I wound up running the gerbing Pants, Socks, and gloves with heat and left the jacket liner unheated (I had layers I could add for keeping my core warm)

I also would NEVER recommend the socks they used to sell. I had to turn the heat WAY UP to get enuff heat on my legs and in doing so my feet felt uncomfortably warm - so much that when I got to my hotel room I found BURNS on the tops of my feet that had actually blistered!!! (Guess my pain tolerance IS pretty high LOL)

Anyway, be careful with your controllers and go with at LEAST dual. Myself I think I may want a separate one for socks or heated insoles if I Was going to ride in the cold much!

Now I need to contact Gerbing to get this resolved - 2 trips, 2 failures of gear :(

Dave

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
And I would pick the Warmnsafe HeatTroller. Got a whole lot of time on them, and never had a failure. Got away from the disconnect problem by getting an extension cable and plugged it in the end before it went to the connectors on the tupperware.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/file.php?id=56

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the information, folks. The past several daze I've been a bit preoccupied with Beverly's situation, but hopefully over the weekend I'll be able to sit down and digest/process all this information. Thanks a lot... :thumbup:

-

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Gerbings and Warm n Safe seem to have a great reputation and good following for quality. But because I got one hellova deal... I have the Tourmaster Synergy. Their gloves I don't have. But I heard about the thumbs not being heated for some reason!!??
However, for the subject of controllers...... the Synergy has push button select controllers, one attached to each garment, removeable but built in each... gloves, vest, pants liner ect. These controllers are included with each item. Not extra cost.
My old gear had the common style thermostat controller with the "pot" dial button and I found it was too easy to accidently bump up or down the control temp. It was not permanently mounted, as I don't need heated gear much in So. Cal. even tho morning rides to work have been in the 30's.
I really do like the Synergy controllers. A well thought out system that is user friendly with gloves on.
Just a shared thought.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And I would pick the Warmnsafe HeatTroller. Got a whole lot of time on them, and never had a failure. Got away from the disconnect problem by getting an extension cable and plugged it in the end before it went to the connectors on the tupperware.

How does that plug in between the controller knob/LED and the control box. It's the little knobby things that need to be disconnected if you install them in the tupperware.

-

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK..., I've got my jacket and pants liners, and of course, the temp is getting back up in the 70's... :shrug:

Anyway, I got the Warm & Safe dual mounted Troller, and now I'm starting to try and figure out the best way to mount it all. I saw this pic of how Bartman has his controllers mounted...

This is exactly where I want to mount my controller. Now, the Warm & Safe controllers dont have a disconnect behind the control knobs, so this makes it a bit tricky if you have to remove the top shelter. However, this panel (with the volt meter installed) can easily be removed and fed back through the hole to allow removal of the shelter. This seems like a nice tidy perm installation. Does anyone see any issues with this location?

As far as the connection between the clothing and the Troller, I figured I'd just run them up into the gas cap cavity, and hook them up by flipping the ends out and closing the gas cap cover..., FOR NOW. Later on, I'll get a couple of BMW spring-loaded receptacles with the 6" lead that turns this part into a quick release. That way I can mount the receptacles right into the tupperware without any concerns. Does anyone see any issues with this setup?

When (if) I get a setup for the SO on the back, I think I'll go with the portable dual Troller.

Thanks for all the help folks... :bow:

-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.