GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at and 08 Wing base model, and would like to know if I can add the heated seat and grips to it, and what I will have to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Grips yes, seat no.

WELCOME to the forum.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
DEP47,

I asked a similar question before I bought my GL1800 recently, which resulted in me being OK with buying a bike without the heated seats/grips "comfort" package.

My question was: What do you prefer, heated seats/grips or heated riding apparel such as Gerbings heated jackets and pants liners?

The vast majority of those here said that they much prefer the heated riding apparel, since it keeps you way warmer than a heated seat ever will.

You can also get the Gerbing heated gloves as well, and the gloves keep both sides of your hands warm. So no need for heated grips either if you go that route.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the heated grips and seat on my 2008 that I bought new. After nearly three years of riding it they don't mean much to me. The grips only heat the inside of your hands and the air flow is on the outside of your hands. My seat is the last part of my anatomy to get cold thus the seat only gets used when it is cold but not cold enough for riding gear. Now the part that counts. When we changed the factory seat my wife would not give up the seat heater, she would not ride without it. One mans opinion, hope it helps.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well having the ABS I have heated grips and seat. You did not say where you live if you are in the south you will probably never use them. Also it will depend on what type of riding you do. I ride back and forth to work and it is nice to have them on cold mornings on the way to work.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
as I recall the base 2008 bike comes with heated seat and grips. Known as the audio - comfort level 1

·
Registered
543 Posts
as I recall the base 2008 bike comes with heated seat and grips. Known as the audio - comfort level 1
My '08 Premium Audio does not have heated seats or grips and I wish it did. I'm not so bothered by the grips but getting out of work in the morning and then having to scrape the frost off the seat is not my idea of a great start to a ride.

There are kits available to add heat to the grips and seats but I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ya know sometimes there is so much false information on these threads it boggles the mind.

I have an 08 and in the middle of the seat is the oil fill stick, ya do not even have to take the seat off to change the oil. :joke:

The Level one 08 does not have heated seat or grips.

A heated seat even in the south is a good thing, hey even in South Carolina is can get down to the teens in the winter.

A heated seat that works correctly you can feel through ATGATT. Problem is the dealers simply are clueless about how to work on the heated seat and it is problematic at times.

However heated grips and a heated seat can quite easily be added to any GL1800. It is not a big deal.

Any of the heated grips aftermarket or your choice do well.

For the seat, you simply buy a factory heated seat used, that someone has taken off for whatever reason. Put that on the bike and use standard heat controllers from heated gear clothing to power and control it.

There is an ornery speed demon on here, his name is ROCKY, I do not know if he invented that but his method is the best. And he will help anyone , so he would be happy to email instructions to anyone how to do that. It is quite simple actually. And economical. Does not cost a whole lot.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
The base 08 does not have heated seat or grips, only the upgraded audio. I think 09 started the base model with comfort package.
You can put on after market heated grips and a heated seat if you want that will work 100 times better than the stock Honda ones. I found heated grips are nice but most of the time useless, your palms get warm but the rest of your hands are cold, and I never thought a heated seat would do much good. When It gets cold I wear chaps and heavy gloves.
Check out all the threads about the heated grips and heated seat failures on these bikes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. My current ride has the heated grip and seat, and although I do not use them much, I find both of them to be handy on a cold morning, as does my wife. I do use the heated jacket liners also, and would plan to do the same on the new bike. I just wanted to know if the seat and grips could be added easily and if any of the controls and wiring harnesses are included so it would be a plug and play addition. Does not sound that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts