GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know how to get the heated grips to work with an aftermarket seat? Or are they on the same circuit?

Thanks! This is on an GL1800 2006

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
wingman57 said:
Does any one know how to get the heated grips to work with an aftermarket seat? Or are they on the same circuit?

Thanks! This is on an GL1800 2006
Same circuit/series. We're up the creek right now.

I think Lewis at EC mentioned he was working on something.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Would it be possible to have the heating elements from the stock seat transfered over to the after market seat?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wingman57,

The heater control unit needs to have the resistance of the thermistors connected to work. The thermistors can be replaced with fixed resistors to allow the heated grips to work with the stock seat removed. I used 130k resistors on a friends bike, but it looks like anything from 50k to 200k would work. Four resistors need to be connected between the following pins of the seat connector.

Pins 3 - 7
Pins 3 - 10
Pins 6 - 4
Pins 6 - 8

I had some flat connector pins laying around that would work with the Honda seat connector. I made a pin layout of the connector from the lid of a plastic coffee can lid, soldered the resistors to the pins, punched the pins through the correct pin holes in the plastic, super glued them in, and encapsulated the resistors in potting compound. I just used electrical tape to secure the device to the seat plug.

It's not real pretty, but has worked for the past year on my friends 06 with an Ultimate seat.

I didn't check to see if the higher value resistors would allow the grips to get warmer. I suspect that is true of the seat and, perhaps, the grips.

I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts