GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 1800 heated seats only get slightly warm compared to the heated grips. When I have used the heated seat I am really not even sure if it is getting warm. Friend said that BMW seat for sure gets warm almost hot.

Took the bike to my dealer...when I picked it up they said it was working as it should.

Anybody with heated seats able to give me a clue if the dealers being straight, don't know anyone with the same bike to compare the heat.

PS Please be patient with me geting back and such...never chated or posted anything...just read over other folks postings.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
I do not have a heated seat on my 05. But everything I have read said the Honda just gets marginally warm and the BMW could be a toaster
:chef3:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heated seat

Laen,

Thanks for the information. I'll eventually run up on a like a model to compare...guess I'll leave it alone until I know more. The wife gets cold easy so may have to look at some kind of upgrade if what it is putting out now is all she's got.

Thanks again,
Greyhorse

·
Registered
29 Posts
My heated seat seems to work fine. 06 model. Haven't tried the back one yet.

I find that it's best to put it on full at first and wait until it gets warm and start backing off. I do notice that sometimes it does take a few minutes to begin warming up. I seem to feel the heat once I get going (higher RPM perhaps??) but the seat is great. PS...so are the grips.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Greyhorse, what I have noticed on my 06 is that the seat doesn't really heat up and get hot unless the temps outside are approx: below 52 degrees. More like around 50 and down..........

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I run mine on 3 most of the time when I use it and I feel the warmth, not like a heated seat in a car though. I think the wind has something to do with it!
Hazle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

Long trip higher RPM's didn't seem to help on recent trip to Ohio and back. Well thinking about it the wife really only wanted the seat on while we were on the BRP and thats not really higher speed or RPM's.

But the thing about the outside temp may have some merit. Maybe it will be cold here on one of my days off soon so I check it out when it is actually needed.

Thanks again
Greyhorse

·
Registered
143 Posts
heated seat

I would sure like to see Honda publish a definetive reply to how the seat works. I have an 06 navi and my seat works fine. There is a thermistor in the circuit that controls the amount of current to the heat blanket. It must see a cold enough temp to ramp up the heat. Mine works well and I appreciated last week riding home after work at 30 something degrees. Relax and enjoy the ride. Tom

·
Registered
135 Posts
Heated seat/ Greyhorse

Hello Greyhorse: Mine is an 06 level 4. Living in Montana, we do use ours a bit...Mine does get very warm, grips and seats, I usually end up on #3 setting for both seats (passenger) and grips. It gets too warm. I am no help with regards to why yours does not feel warmer...My response is to help you gather comparision information. Hopefully, upon learning whatever you find...you may share it with the rest of us. Good luck...Merry Christmas. Greg.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Greyhorse, if your outside temperature is above 50 f, you won't feel much heat. But then again,
why would you need heat, if it's warm outside? Ride that baby up north, & I'll bet it'll heat up just fine.
The thermistor resistance varies with the temperature of the seat.

TEMPERATURE- - RESISTANCE
-5 C - - - - - - - 187-215 k
0 C - - - - - - - 146-166 k
5 C - - - - - - - 114-129 k
10 C - - - - - - - 90-101 k
15 C - - - - - - - 72-80 k
20 C - - - - - - - 58-64 k
25 C - - - - - - - 46-51 k
30 C - - - - - - - 38-41 k

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Left this morning at 7 a.m. it never got above about 36 degrees till after 10 or so. Mine kept me comfy but I dressed appropriately. Now I don't know how warm is warm enough, but the colder temp. I ride in the warmer the seat feels. Lastly the heat does not compare to the grips, those babies cook on high.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Honda knows we are not smart enough to use our brakes, hence the linked system, not smart enough to know when to turn down our seat heaters, hence the resistors in the seat, not smart enough to use a full featured GPS unit that we paid 2K for so we get the watered down version based on a automobile unit.

However I must say that when I have ridden in cold enough weather, when I need more heat, the system does give it to me for the most part. I just wish Honda would have more faith in us. :roll: Oh I forgot to mentioned that most of us also got a bad rear seat controller at NC. Just keeps getting better and better each year huh !

·
Registered
20 Posts
The seats and grips work fine on my 06. We were out riding the last 2 days with temps in the low 40's and I had mine set on 3. If I set them on 4 or Max they get too hot!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone :D :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Last February, as I waited for my HD Screaming Eagle Ultra to arrive, I happened upon an article that compared the HD with the Gold Wing and the BMW K1200.

Of course the article favored the Gold Wing in most areas. In the 6 months of waiting for the Harley to come in, I began to have second thoughts as I learned more about the Wing. Several factors contributed to my purchasing the Wing over the Harley, but this article was capper.

Anyway, in the article, it indicated that the Gold Wing's heated seats were tied to the outside temp. It said that there were times where they wished it was a little hotter when the outside temp was on the cool side, but when it was cold out, the seat held it's own against the others. It even had a picture of them driving on snow covered mountain streets, so they really had a good experience with it. There were 3 of them and one passenger, and they switched frequently and they all rated each feature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Everyone

I was not aware that it sensed outside temp. Being in Florida will wait to test the seat on a cold day and see what it does. Thanks everyone for all the information.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just took my 06 with heat/comfort out for a 350 mile ride a few days ago. Temp was 42 during day and 30 at nite. Here is the deal:

50 degrees you don't feel the seat heat much even at max setting
40 degrees you can feel it
30 degrees you can feel it nice and warm
20 degrees still works great but now the rest of me is too cold so I put on too many layers to feel the heated seat much.

Hand grips work warm to almost hot no mater what the temp is. Too bad the seat isn't like this. I think a little more heat coming out of the seat heaters would be even better. Oh ya, back seat and front seat are about the same amount of heat coming out of them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Greyhorse said:
My 06 1800 heated seats only get slightly warm compared to the heated grips. When I have used the heated seat I am really not even sure if it is getting warm. Friend said that BMW seat for sure gets warm almost hot.

Took the bike to my dealer...when I picked it up they said it was working as it should.

Anybody with heated seats able to give me a clue if the dealers being straight, don't know anyone with the same bike to compare the heat.

PS Please be patient with me geting back and such...never chated or posted anything...just read over other folks postings.
I can chime in here; when I purchased my 06' I had the same exact complaint. I did the same thing you did and the dealer told me the same thing yours told you. My opinion is the heated seat sucks! It's fine for my passenger as she can feel some heat coming from the back seat, but as for you you can forget it. I wrote a letter to Honda and they basically told me to pound sand. It's a crappy design, although the heated grips are outstanding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought the same thing with my '07 when the temps were around 55F, just didn't feel like it was doing much. Took it out this morning at 35F, the difference was amazing, setting #2 was warm enough. As many have stated, seems the heaters measure outside temps and heat up when you really need them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts