GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to install a heated RDL seat to my 07 with the factory heated seat/grips. can I just splice into the factory wiring and use the factroy controls? or will this be a problem? I asked this on technical board and got no responses after several days and some bumps so I thought I would try here. thanks bill

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Short answer NO

there is more to the comfort package than just the seat and the grip.
mainly there is a control module that is rearward an below the battery That controls the whole lot

ONE item quits ... none of it works..... Stupid design!!!

BUT you could wire in a seat with non factory controllers ( rear and front)

The seat really has four elements Pass seat and back rest and driver seat and back rest ( yeah The little rise on the drivers has an element in there
Don't ask how I know)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm wanting to install a heated RDL seat to my 07 with the factory heated seat/grips. can I just splice into the factory wiring and use the factroy controls? or will this be a problem? I asked this on technical board and got no responses after several days and some bumps so I thought I would try here. thanks bill
RDL has an option to maintain the factory heating stuff. Does the RDL you have use the factory heat or the aftermarket RDL stuff?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The short answer is no,and you will be better off with separate controls because of what ccsailor says.

It is do-able though.I installed a 07 heated seat/pass backrest on my 04.Read this "HOW TO" I made about the "Warm n Safe" controllers that I used.They are far superior to a stock controller,WARNING you will burn the boys if you aren't careful with the heat.:eek:4:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241138

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rcdnate, the RDL seat I have is an older one I had made for my 05 so it doesn't have the Honda factory setup. It is designed to be hooked up to battery direct with the switch built into the seat.

I was hoping to just splice into the factory wiring and use the factory controls vs. hooking up as a stand alone system. However, Rocky makes a good point about it will work better not going thru the factory wiring/switch.

It seems to me that the RDL seat wouldn't be able to tell the differnce from voltage on the wires wether it is coming directly from the battery or from the factory wiring harness. It seems if I spliced into the factory plug and connected the RDL wiring I would have to have both the factory switch on and the RDL switch on. Maybe there is a problem with the right voltage?? I'm no electrical expert.

Also I can remeber from old posts that if I chose to wire seperately, I need to insert some kind of resitor so that the grips will still work.. I should be able to do a search and find that info.. thanks Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rocky, thanks for info and your posted info on seperate controller for variable control. I might go that route. thanks , Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts