GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take it in to Dealer thought I would ask: The heated driver seat and handgrips both work great on my 08 GW. The problem is the passenger seat and passenger backrest does not "no heat"? Checked the wiring but could not find anything not connected properly. Am I missing something simple or possible solution before I set up an appointment?

Perry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I double checked to insure it was . First time she has ever tried using it. A new 08 bought about 5 months ago. Will probably stop by dealer tomorrow to get their opinion.

Perry

Did your passenger turn it on? There is an on/off controller on the left side box at the bottom.

Just wondering......

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've fought this same problem and took it back to the dealer and they compared to another new bike sitting on the floor. They said the passenger seat heats, but not as hot as the drivers and you have to sit on it to feel the heat. (can't just place your hand on the seat to feel heat). So it's either not all that great of heat system on the back, or a very widespread problem. I'm going to do Fred's 10k resistor mod one of these days and see how that may improve matters.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've been told that the passenger seat needs someone sitting in it or some weight to enable the circuit. You might try that first.

·
Registered
45 Posts
rear seat heat

Just tell the wife she isnt heavy enough to avitvate the seat heater. Trust me, you will never hear her complain again cause she will be scared it will start working.

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
There is no sensor in the seat to tell if someone is sitting on it. Any dealer that tells you that doesn't know what they are talking about.

However, there are thermistors inside the seat that sense the seats internal temperature. If the ambient temp out is above about 55 or so, you may not be able to get the seat to heat up enough to feel it.

By the way, I am now experimenting with 4.7K ohm resistors on both front and rear thermistor circuits. It may turn out that I need about 5K ohms on the front and 10K ohms on the rear. It's a bit of a trial and error process trying to dial in just the right size that isn't too hot when it gets cold out, but not hot enough when it's 55 degrees out. So far, the 4.7K ohm seems to work fine for the front seat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We took about a 4 hour ride and she turned it on when we left. First time she used it and absolutely no heat the entire time we rode. Stopped by dealer today and it is scheduled to be looked at next weekend. I took seat off tonight and checked all the connections, including the rear rotary switch and everything is connected. Was told that they have had problems with a few of the rear rotary switches not working. As the rear switch controls both the rear seat and passenger backrest they think that is the likely cause.

Hopefully it is and an easy fix.

Perry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts