GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the bike in the shop getting some warranty work done, I have the extended warranty and the driver seat bottom heat is not working.I have a utopia backrest installed that has been there for years and they are trying to say they will not warranty my seat because of the backrest, has anyone else had this problem them trying not to warranty the seat. Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You may need to find a different dealer....The dealer I use had no problem with my Utopia. It is like trailer hitches and CT's, some dealers are looking for ways to avoid warranty work. In the case of this goofy "comfort package" they may not have a tech capable of trouble shooting it anyway and were looking for a way out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have gave a little more information sorry the dealership is trying to get it warranty. But Hondas extended warranty Center is trying not to cover it because of the backrest

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2006 with only 3 days left on the extended warranty. The dealer determined there was a short in the seat but honda had a issue with the back rest. I told the dealer that the back rest had been on the bike for 4 years and there was been no issues until now. I told the dealer unless honda can prove the short was caused by the back rest I want it covered by the warranty. I also told the dealer that this is my 4th Goldwing over the years and have also purchased 8 honda cars and I expect Honda to do the right thing. The dealer called honda back to see if anything can be done. After a day or so I received a call from the dealer saying the bike was ready with a new seat installed.

Hope this info helps you some how. Good luck with yours.

Tiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
The moss-magnuson act requires that the dealer prove that your modification is what caused the failure. It's not your responsibility to prove that it didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
I'm not all that wise when it comes to legal wording. I don't know what it is, but when I look at that, makes
not much sense to me.

Can someone point That The Dealer Must Prove That The Mod Is What Caused The Failure? PLEASE?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I'm not all that wise when it comes to legal wording. I don't know what it is, but when I look at that, makes
not much sense to me.

Can someone point That The Dealer Must Prove That The Mod Is What Caused The Failure? PLEASE?
Find another dealer, time you mess with this one for two years it is pointless. You butt will still be cold and the seat not fixed.

The labor to fix that is very slow, the knowledge to fix it and troubleshoot it is more than most shops have knowledge to do, not sure why as it is just basic use with a test meter ,but a great many of them do not have a clue and use any excuse to avoid this issue. If a dealer balks at fixing it, best to go elsewhere anyway as even if they try they will not get it fixed. Meanwhile your butt is still cold........

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
not much sense to me.

I think this is the part you're looking for:
The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

Basically, the dealer will ask you to approve labor for them to pull the seat, and determine the cause of the failure. If they determine that your backrest installation is the cause of the failure then you will be on the hook for the labor you approved, and also for the cost of the repair if it is determined that the backrest was the cause of the issue(and you decide to pay to have it repaired). It's not clear if the dealer said the backrest is the cause of the failure, or if American Honda is saying it is. Either way, it looks like you can either try taking it to a different dealer and hope for a different response, or you can pay to have them prove to you that the backrest caused the issue. If it is determined that the backrest wasn't the cause of the failure, it should be fixed on Honda's dime.

·
Registered
19,055 Posts
When you sliced your seat you voided your warranty. Trike owners have no warranty

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
When you sliced your seat you voided your warranty. Trike owners have no warranty
The dealerships, and Honda wish it was that straightforward. Unless you sliced a wire when you cut your seat, or your backrest somehow caused the short, simply cutting your seat would not void your warranty. See TinyTim's post above. He had a utopia backrest on his bike, and Honda replaced the heated seat under warranty. Trike owners don't have no warranty, they just might have a harder time since the bike has been modified so much.

Moss-Magnusson act was written because warranty repairs were being denied because things like brake fluid wasn't changed on recommended interval when the problem was a faulty air conditioner. Basically, lack of maintaining your brakes would never have an impact on the air conditioner function. It further makes the burden of proof on the dealer to show that the problem was caused by abuse or lack of proper maintenance. Of course it doesn't work like that in reality, because they'll charge you for their time to try to prove you caused the problem, and only if they discover during their research that you did not cause it will you not have to pay for the repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts