GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 92K miles the factory heated seat on my 07 fails to heat. The grips still work great as long as I don't turn on the drivers heat. Once I turn on the drivers heat it all shuts down until I turn off the ignition and then it resets. I have made all he usual check(fuses,contacts, etc). Input is appreciated. First trouble I have had with this system,

Fred

·
Registered
566 Posts
Fred, I have the exact same priblem on my 06 and have not found a solution. Do you have a Utopia backrest on your bike? I was wondering if they were shorting out the seat. My seat will come on for a few minutes but then everything shuts down [grips and seat], turn off ignition and seat, turn ignition back on and grips will work fine. I hope to borrow someones seat and see if that will work. I will let you know if I find a solution, please keep me in mind if you find out anything.Jakec

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The heating system is a closed loop. Having said that when you turn on the seat you are adding to the loop. So the short has to be within the seat portion of the circuit. I would start at the switch and use an ohmeter to test it at a few points. You could also have some dirt within the plug beneath the seat.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. I have checked the plug beneath the seat and it looks clean, but I will use some contact cleaner on it. I have not checked the plug beneath the dash for the control switches, which I will do also. I did notice that the seat switch got a little difficult to roll before this happened so that is a good starting point.

No Utopia backrest on my seat. I'm down south with the bike until April so don't know how much I'll get into it until I return home.

Fred

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Since you're playing the snowbird card - why not post the area where your at and see if someone nearby has a heated seat they can loan you for a bit to assist you with your troubleshooting? Gives you a chance to meet someone new, do a quick "does it work with a different seat" check, and then enjoy the ride.

Better yet, swap seats and see if the symptoms follow the seat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since you're playing the snowbird card - why not post the area where your at and see if someone nearby has a heated seat they can loan you for a bit to assist you with your troubleshooting? Gives you a chance to meet someone new, do a quick "does it work with a different seat" check, and then enjoy the ride.

Better yet, swap seats and see if the symptoms follow the seat.
That's a great idea. :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts