GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried my heated seat last night for the 1st time. I felt some warmth in my portion and my wife said the same about her portion. Both were set on max and the ride was about 25 miles.
Thought the seat should have gotten "hot" enough that we would have to turn it down as I did with the heated grips.
If that's all the heat I can get out of the seat, what a waste!!!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used my heated seats for the first time about 3 weeks ago in North Carolina. I live in Louisiana so it has not been cold enought to try them. They worked fine in NC both my seat and the pass. seat. It was in the 40's in the AM and 50. I turned the seat heat off once it got into the 60s.

They are not so hot to burn the butt on max but that is a GO thing!!

Ride often and safe

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not sure on this but I remember reading something about it. The seat heater adjusts based on the outside air temp. If I remember right, the colder the outside air, the warmer the seat gets.

·
Registered
761 Posts
beesko said:
I'm not sure on this but I remember reading something about it. The seat heater adjusts based on the outside air temp. If I remember right, the colder the outside air, the warmer the seat gets.
Ditto on that. I remember reading that in some posts awhile back also. Two people can't be wrong can they? :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
This subject was in one of the Honda Red Rider mags or something. You also need to sit on it to make it work. IE you can't check the pass seat for heat so they say if no one is sitting on it. The aritcle even had a diagram of the heater element. I know here in Illinois these past couple of weeks I just keep mine on MAX. Never gets too hot and when the temp warms up a bit the seat does adjust itself cooler. Works for me but it would be nice if Honda let us have a bit more say in the matter of our latter ! :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
The heated seat is a technical triumph over common sense IMO.

I have one on my '06 and it never gets hot enough. If the rumors are correct and it adjusts based on outside air temp, what was Honda thinking...that I couldn't adjust it to suit my needs? :roll:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I picked up my new wing last week and rode from San Antonio to Galveston and back over the weekend. My heated grips were very warm but my heated seat was kind of anemic but I didn't give it much thought. I went to the dealer on Tuesday and their delivery tech came over to me and told me he needed to set a time to get my heated seat fixed. The parts had arrived and they were calling their customers to schedule the repair! Of course, no one told me the seat didn't work when they delivered it. Still, I was glad they brought it to my attention before the South Texas winter riding season ( ten days long). You may want to check with the dealer and see if this is a problem Honda is going back to fix a lot of wings.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
I dont have the heated seats. But the bike mags say the Honda just barely warms the seat vs the BMW which will toast you. It is a bike after all

·
Registered
20 Posts
2006 HEATED SEATS

HAD THE LOW HEAT ISSUE ALSO (COMBINED WITH INTERMITTENT OPERATION), AFTER A LOT OF INCOMPETENT FOOLING AROUND AT ONE DEALER, MY SELLING DEALER CHANGED THE HEAT CONTROL UNIT(LOCATED BESIDE THE BATTERY). NOW THE SEATS ARE MUCH WARMER AND OPERATE CONTINUOUSLY. I SPENT A LOT OF TIME STUDYING THE SERVICE MANUAL AND DO NOT FIND ANY DEVISE THAT MONITORS THE AMBIENT AIR TEMERATURE. I BELIEVE THE "HOTTER WHEN COLDER" THEORY IS A PERCEPTION NOT AN ACTUALITY. THE COLDER IT IS OUTSIDE THE WARMER THEY FEEL, AT LEAST IT MAKES SENSE TO ME.
I THINK HONDA NEEDS A RECALL ON THE HEAT CONTROL UNIT BASED ON THE COMPLAINTS LISTED HERE. THE SEATS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO GET AS HOT AS AN AUTMOTIVE HEATED SEAT BUT THEY NEED TO BE BETTER THAN MINE WERE BEFORE THE "FIX". BY THE WAY, THE HONDA SUPPORT GURU'S DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW THE SEATS ARE SUPPOSE TO WORK!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Uncle Dan said:
I picked up my new wing last week and rode from San Antonio to Galveston and back over the weekend. My heated grips were very warm but my heated seat was kind of anemic but I didn't give it much thought. I went to the dealer on Tuesday and their delivery tech came over to me and told me he needed to set a time to get my heated seat fixed. The parts had arrived and they were calling their customers to schedule the repair! Of course, no one told me the seat didn't work when they delivered it. Still, I was glad they brought it to my attention before the South Texas winter riding season ( ten days long). You may want to check with the dealer and see if this is a problem Honda is going back to fix a lot of wings.
What year model and date of manufacture is your new Wing? I've been demo'ing an '06 Wing with a March/06 build date and I've also noticed that the heated seat seems rather weak - especially compared to the RT I use to own. I'm picking up an '07 Wing tomorrow and I'm wondering if this heated seat issue is a service campaign I may have to have my dealer take care of.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Yeah it's only gotten cool enough here a couple of times so far this year to even try mine out. My results were similar to the above posts, the grips are extra toasty and you have to turn 'em way down but seat left a lot to be desired. On the other hand I really haven't given it a fair chance yet, so we'll see. Terry

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
There are thermistors in the seat which monitor the temperature of the seat and provide feedback to the controller
which controls how much current flows through the heating coils.

The thermistors are burried in the seat and don't really sense ambient temps as much as they do the temp of the seat itself.
In a sense, they will be affected by ambient temps some, because if the seat is cold, the thermistors will tell the
controller to increase current flow. In warmer outside temps, the thermistors will be warmer to start with,
so the controller won't allow as much current flow.

I have not seen any sort of sense switches in the wiring diagram that can sense if a person is sitting on the seat or not though,
so I suspect they will come on even if no one is sitting there, unless there is a switch that is not documented in the drawings.

If you look at the drawing, you will also notice there are no thermistors on the grips, which explains why they get so warm.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to modify the circuit to provide more heat. All you would have to do is alter the value
of resistance in the thermistor circuits to fool the controller into thinking it was colder than it really is. But don't blame me
if you melt your seat or set your bike on fire. :shock:

:crew:

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
someone else talked about this same issue a week or 2 ago, in his case his dealer replaced some dudad next to the battery that regulates the seat heat and it has worked much better since, from what i remember Honda is now aware of the problem and has the part available to fix it under warranty

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had my heated seat on in the cold and rain. When I get off the seat and it's wet I see steam come off the seat. Made the mistake of setting my helmet on the seat. Fogged it up bad inside.

In the cold I ride with a snowmobile suit on and I can fell the heat just fine. Plenty of heat for me.

I just got my heating system fixed on my 06. Right hand heated grip died and the whole system crashed. No heat anywhere.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Fred,
That was a very informative post, your obviously a lot more tech savvy than most. As I recall in another thread it was stated that the heat couldn't be felt unless you sat in the seat and compressed the foam. They said it had something to do with the open cellulose (porous) type foam used in the seat pad. Terry

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Crab Killer said:
I've had my heated seat on in the cold and rain. When I get off the seat and it's wet I see steam come off the seat. Made the mistake of setting my helmet on the seat. Fogged it up bad inside.

In the cold I ride with a snowmobile suit on and I can fell the heat just fine. Plenty of heat for me.

I just got my heating system fixed on my 06. Right hand heated grip died and the whole system crashed. No heat anywhere.
Are you pull'in our leg? I've never heard anyone say their seat got that hot. Looks like you've got afine bun warmer (maybe toaster) there!! :eek:4: T.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
tvbveb said:
Crab Killer said:

Are you pull'in our leg? I've never heard anyone say their seat got that hot. Looks like you've got afine bun warmer (maybe toaster) there!! :eek:4: T.
There is probably a simple explanation for why some seats get hot and some don't. It could be due to tolerance errors in
the thermistors themselves, or it could be due to placement of the thermistors. If the thermistors were placed closer to
the heating element in one bike and further away from them in another bike, that would explain it. The bike with the
thermistors closer to the heating element would not heat the seat up as much before the thermistor would tell the controller to
turn it off.

I haven't seen the interior construction of the heated seats, but if you could remove the seat covering and
simply move the thermistors further away from the elements, that would probably allow the seat to heat up more.

You could also do some measurements and try adding some resistors to the thermistor circuit to fool the controller into
thinking the seat was colder than it really is, but that would take some trial and error testing to determine the proper
value resistors to use.

There also could be variances in the controller unit itself that could account for it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
heated seat

It was sunny at 7:30 this morning and 29 degrees when I took the wing out to a breakfast meeting. Love the heated grips and the heated seat with their coontrol. Left the driveway with the control at position 3, grips were warm right away but the seat heater took about three miles to feel the heat. There was plenty of heat and really felt good. Any farther than the 12 miles I rode I would have been turning down the heat. Just remember the thermistor in the system is there to maintain a consistant temp level. Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
just an fyi...

Turned in the '06 Wing loaner (3/06 manufacture date) today and swapped out for my own new '07 ABS (9/06 manufacture date). The heated seat on my '07 is significantly warmer at the "max" setting than the '06.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I remember correctly from the discussions last winter, the seat will get as hot as 80 degrees on its highest setting whether you are sitting on it or not. Last year in my 66 degree garage I measured 80 on the nose with my IR thermometer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts