GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's really starting to warm up here - may hit 30 Saturday! So I'm considering electric gloves and vest but see ads regarding normal wire filament or ultra thin carbon fiber elements.
I am on the fence on this one - good / bad points?

· Registered
4,127 Posts
Well it's really starting to warm up here - may hit 30 Saturday! So I'm considering electric gloves and vest but see ads regarding normal wire filament or ultra thin carbon fiber elements.
I am on the fence on this one - good / bad points?
Not familiar with the carbon fiber element you've referenced. I can tell you that Gerbing's new G3 version with their "flat wire" is WAY more comfy than the original G3 version. They feel like regular gloves and you can't feel the wires on your knuckles at all. (The also ran an extra loop in the thumb for additional warmth.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just saw a few listings on ebay and some are carbon fiber and others are regular - I normally stay away from the brand name items as I wish not to pay for the name.

· Registered
16 Posts
My wife and I purchased Tourmaster Synergy jackets last year. They have a carbon fibre heating element. Work very well and much less expensive than Gerbing. We paid about $160.00 each including the temperature controller. :lol: We live in northern Alberta so we've had lots of oppportunities to use the heated jackets.

Dave

· Registered
1,849 Posts
I used Google to do a little research. I found that Carbon Fiber heating elements have these unique advantages over the older "wire" heating elements:

More even heat distribution
Thinner diameter flexible heating element
High tensil strength
No risk of electrical shock if exposed to water

There's still lots of "wire" products out there to sell and be gone, but it seems to me that all the manuacturers are switching to carbon fiber elements with their newest heated clothing versions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.