GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
2018 tour
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about heated liners for a while. I have no doubt that something like the gerbing 12v liner would be the optimal solution. But they are pricey and I need two, I also don't relish the idea of being tethered to the bike with a power cord, just from a convenience standpoint .
Anyone here using a 7v vest? Is it warm enough to forego an extra layer and do your arms get too cold ?
Being frugal (ok, cheap) I'm looking for alternatives 馃榿

Registered
You could look into battery operated liners. The cost would be about the same though and you would have to find someplace to recharge the battery is you are on a trip.

Registered
Warm & Safe heated jacket liner with heated gloves & dual control wireless controller. Best decision I鈥檝e made for cold weather riding. Prefer jacket over vest to have heat on the arms & cords for heated gloves or glove liners. Being plugged in to the bike is no big deal. If you forget to unplug, which I do often, it will easily unplug itself as get off or walk away.

Warm & Safe has a heated shirt that is a little less expensive.

if you go the battery route, you made need extra batteries for a long day in the saddle & charge on the fly.

Registered
I have the Warm-n-Safe heated shirt. I like it because it fits snugly and the heat transfer to my body is very good. I normally wear my LDC shirt under it and that really distributes the heat well. Depending on the weather, I also wear a windproof liner over the shirt. I like the combination a lot better than the jacket liners I have had in the past. The wind protection is not as good on my 2018 as it was on my older ones, but I can still ride in temps below 30 even without heated pants or socks. I also like the Warm-n-Safe heated gloves. They work great in concert with the heated grips.

Premium Member
2007 GL1800
I was gifted a lower end amazon rechargable heated vest for christmas.
It uses a portable charger type battery. (picture as an example it didnt come with an anker)
Communication Device Bumper Rectangle Portable communications device Audio equipment

It has two zones of heat and low/medium/high heat settings for each zone.
The literature that came with it claimed it would last for about four hours on high if I remember correctly and my experience bears that out.
My guess is the included battery is somewhere around a 10000 mAh battery, one could easily get a second battery or get a larger 20,000 mAh or even 50,000 mAh battery to extend its useability
It is conveniant as your not tethered to the bike but it's not going to keep you warm in sub zero temps thats for sure lol
In the 35+ ambient temp range when worn under an outer jacket it is enough to add some heat and keep you more comfortable.
Overall I would probably have bought a plug into the bike option instead as Ive read they output more heat then rechargable units do generally speaking.
As it was a gift I have zero complaints with it and have worn it multiple times since christmas and was happy to have it...any amount of extra heat is better then nothing :)

Premium Member
I did some research several years ago before I got my first bit of heated gear. I got a jacket line and gloves. I found the gloves were almost useless because the fingertips seemed to not be well heated and always were cold.

I got a jacket liner, rather than a heated vest, because of the feedback about the lack of heat to the arms and my personal experience with a leather jacket with a vest like jacket liner. My arms were always cold so I purchased a leather jacket with a full liner (chest and arms).

Our current jacket liners are Warm and Safe products with the wireless controller . While I might have considered a battery powered jacket liner at one time, in retrospect I did not because the battery pack would be an extra item to have. The batteries would have to be charged after each use. Batteries can fail.

In essence the one extra cable, we still use wired intercom systems, is no big deal. And since the controller is now wireless, its just a wire from the jacket line to the bike.

A neck gaiter might be considered to keep the neck area insulated due to blood flow to the head, eeping the area warm.

Just my two cents.

Registered
We only use heated gloves.

Being that we're in North Carolina, temperature don't drop too low to justify full gear.

I do ride all year to and from work, 2nd shift getting home after midnight.

I wear the Gerbing 12v gloves when it drops to 36 drgree or below, have ski pants, snow mobile suit and fleece lined ski jacket to chose from depending on how cold it's going to be that night.

We tried the battery operated gear and found them useless and not durable enough, ALL of them broke, battery connector with flimsy wires broke on each one.

I normally wear thermo underwear when it's expected to be in the 40's under my jeans.

Registered
[stuff deleted]

A neck gaiter might be considered to keep the neck area insulated due to blood flow to the head, eeping the area warm.

Just my two cents.
I absolutely agree on the neck gaiter. On my 2018, the air comes up under my helmet and makes my head cold when the temps are under 40 degrees or so.

Registered
A few years ago my wife and I invested in Warm and Safe water proof heated jacket liners. WOW!? What comfort. Best piece of riding gear we have. GAME CHANGER!

If the temperatures is 65F or below we plug in. That simple. 65-75F I wear it under my jacket. My two winter riding jackets are not insulated. One is a heavy bison leather WW2 bomber. The other is Aerostitch for wet riding. I wear short or long sleeve T shirts under the heated jacket. My summer riding jacket is a mesh sized to fit over the heated jacket.

We are the only ones in our close riding group that has made the investment. We try and try to talk the others into it but they can't see the value. The wife and I just shake our heads. 鈥. Everyone we ride with can afford them but everyone makes their own choices.

Before I bought the jacket I was going to go with a vest. I got talked into a jacket and I鈥檓 happy happy happy.

Registered
Warm & Safe heated jacket liner with heated gloves & dual control wireless controller. Best decision I鈥檝e made for cold weather riding. Prefer jacket over vest to have heat on the arms & cords for heated gloves or glove liners. Being plugged in to the bike is no big deal. If you forget to unplug, which I do often, it will easily unplug itself as get off or walk away.

Warm & Safe has a heated shirt that is a little less expensive.

if you go the battery route, you made need extra batteries for a long day in the saddle & charge on the fly.

I've held off on the heated gloves because It seems like it be be a hassle to always be plugging and unplugging them on a ride (To pee, fool with the iPod, get things out of storage, etc.). I guess you have not found that to be the case?

Registered
The glove can be a pain, just depends on how cold it is. Recently tried the W&S glove liner & I didn鈥檛 have to always remove them鈥x. when I got gas, purchases in store, getting stuff out of bike鈥

Reactions: Rdw

Registered
I've held off on the heated gloves because It seems like it be be a hassle to always be plugging and unplugging them on a ride (To pee, fool with the iPod, get things out of storage, etc.). I guess you have not found that to be the case?
It's matter of how comfortable you want to be riding out in the cold.

To us, it's worth the "hassle" of it. I have MP3 player so, all the controls are right on the bike where I can push the buttons as I want.

Registered
Your profile says you are in Colorado, high altitude, mountain country..

I鈥檓 in Alberta, Canada. Heated gear extends our very short riding season by about one month. Even in July, it鈥檚 not unheard of to have 7* C/45* F early morning temperatures. To me, that鈥檚 worth it.

How much is a longer riding season and personal comfort worth to YOU?

Tim

Registered
I like it because it fits snugly and the heat transfer to my body is very good.
This is the key to heated gear. Purchase heated clothing that fits snug. For those that have looser fitting heated jackets, have you ever pressed your hand on your chest while riding and feel the additional warmth?
OP: Purchase the jacket, not the vest. Cry once...

Love The DCT
I've been thinking about heated liners for a while. I have no doubt that something like the gerbing 12v liner would be the optimal solution. But they are pricey and I need two, I also don't relish the idea of being tethered to the bike with a power cord, just from a convenience standpoint .
Anyone here using a 7v vest? Is it warm enough to forego an extra layer and do your arms get too cold ?
Being frugal (ok, cheap) I'm looking for alternatives 馃榿
When the weather gets cool, a heated vest is definitely worth it.

Registered
If you are on a budget, pick up a used Aerostich Unobtainium vest on eBay. They are always there for $100 or likely less. No controller to worry about, just plug it in (12V) and stay warm. Bulletproof and simple, quality heated vest.

I have a full heated Gerbing jacket and never use it in favor of my Stich vest.

Registered
I have the Warm and Safe jacket liner and Gerbing Gloves with a dual controller. Yes, a good investment. I never leave home without them. Ride year round here in southwestern Pa. Have rode with temps in the high 20's. Your toes will get a little cold but that's minor.

Registered
Hey,

I use heated gear to extend my season here in Eastern Ontario from early Apr to early Nov. Before the heated gear, my season would run mid May to mid Sep. I use Venture Heat jacket, pants, gloves and socks along with base layer under riding jacket and pants when temp is forecast before 9C/48F. For temps between 9C/48F and 18C/64F, I usually just wear the heated jacket and sometimes heated gloves if grip heat is not enough. There have been times on the ride home after sunset when temps have gone to 1C/33F and I have to crank the heat to max.

I ran a direct connection from the battery and along the side of the seat. With all the gear connected together on max setting and the draw is around 15A.

I love my heated gear.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 32 Posts