GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,923 Posts
Years ago I got the Tourmaster heated vest. It worked fine. But then I got the heated jacket liner. Much better having heat also on the arms. I still take the heated vest as a back up when doing "frost bite rides"!
The battery operated units are nice for away from the bike use. Like camping, fishing and such. However for me... I like the 12 volt units because I don't really need the heat when not riding in the cold. And no batteries to remember to charge.

Cycle gear has their "Hot Wire" brand. Best to get one in the Spring when they go on sale.

Corventure Dave

· Registered
230 Posts
W&S 12V Heat Layer Shirt is my favorite. The snug fit makes a difference. Same heat output on ‘3’ as my jacket liner puts out on ‘5’ or ‘6’.
Always wear LD Comfort beneath it.
Enough difference with the heat shirt that I had to retire my old Gold Belt and get a new vented one.

· Premium Member
49 Posts
Your profile says you are in Colorado, high altitude, mountain country..

I’m in Alberta, Canada. Heated gear extends our very short riding season by about one month. Even in July, it’s not unheard of to have 7* C/45* F early morning temperatures. To me, that’s worth it.

How much is a longer riding season and personal comfort worth to YOU?

Tim
Brought my wing home Jan 13th, 2023. Went out riding on Jan 14th and put 123 miles on it. In, Utah, Temps were in the 45F range. Was able to layer up and the only heated gear I had was heated gloves (Tourmaster) that were on the low setting. I had no problems riding that day. Years ago, I had heated vests, pants, gloves, and was riding a Honda ST1300 in 28F with all the settings for the heated gear on low. It was amazing. I didn't have any heat on my socks and feet, and they were a little bit cold. Other than that, I was fine. Heated gear is great even if you have to plug it all in.

· Registered
'21 GW Tour, 'O6 GL1800
698 Posts
Get the plug-in gear. I've been using an Aerostich vest that works great on older Gold Wings that have good arm protection. Now, with my '21 Wing, arm wind peotection is minimal and I wish I had heated sleeves as well.

· Registered
2018 DCT Tour, Several Valks
67 Posts
I have Gerbing jacket, gloves and pants. I used the pants once. Too much hassle.

Bought them over 20 years ago and use the coat and gloves whenever the temp gets into the below 60F range.

My first ride home from the dealer I purchased them from (Popoli Honda in Westfield, MA), I added 50 miles to take the long way, cause it felt so good.

Obviously, wire-less battery option was not available, but I'd go with the plug-in if I purchased today. Don't want to carry batteries & chargers and plugging in isn't that big a deal. Plus I consider plug-in more reliable.

Can't speak to the Vest vs Jacket debate, but my arms are happy.

· Registered
190 Posts
I went with heated jacket, gloves, pants and socks on two controllers. Toasty warm even down to -10F. Heated grips too!

· Registered
718 Posts
I really appreciate my Warm N Safe Jacket liner. Then I bought a Milwaukee battery jacket so my wife and I could both have heat at the same time. She rarely rides, and I now use the battery jacket more than the Warm N Safe. Its like sitting in an electric blanket to me, and it sure helps to stay warmer. I prefer a jacket over a vest, because the jacket also warms my arms, and if I want to plug my heated gloves in, the sleeves are wired for the gloves. If you are on a longer trip, you can throw the jacket liner on, and turn it up in the morning, then as the day warms up you can turn it down or off, its like dialing in your comfort.

· Registered
2018 tour
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All: thanks for all the input. Living out here around the mountains, temps can vary wildly through the day. Especially when riding over mountain passes. I don't do cold as well as I used to and it's no surprise that a 12 volt liner of some kind is going to be the best solution for me.
Now I just have to convince myself that $500+ for two sets (I'm almost always two-up) is going to be a good investment 😵‍💫

· Registered
238 Posts
It won’t be hard to convince yourself after you use it on the first cold day you ride!

· Registered
242 Posts
Warm and Safe heated SHIRT and W&S Gauntlet Gloves. Wireless BT 2 knob controller clipped to the windshield. Cold weather riding Bliss. 28 degrees for several hours was no problem. Paired with the heated grips and seat, it's almost unbelievable. These shirts fit tight and heat chest, back, neck and arms.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts