GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me with a 1998 gl1500 se. i have a friend that when he stops in traffic his temp goes up alittle, it never did this before. he has replace the water pump not to long ago. the fluid lever is up. when he takes off and rides it goes back to normal. what can we tell me, please help us. thanks......... :shrug:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Do the cooling fans come on and cool it back down?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not enough info.

Do the fans run?
Is the thermostat ok?
What condition are the radiators in? Are they full of crud when you look into them?

Pinched hose?

Recent work?

Different riding conditions?

Check the oil?? Is it light brown or milky??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check the coolant temp sensor plug at the bottom middle of the radiator and make sure it is still connected. Left mine off once. :oops:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
get a bottle of peroxide and put in a spray bottle. soak the radiator down really good with it. Let it soak for a few min and then hose off with plenty of fresh water. Soft water if you have it. It will melt all the bugs in there and flush them out. After I did that to my 02 1800 it started runnning cool again.

·
Registered
674 Posts
get a bottle of peroxide and put in a spray bottle.
Just to clarify: I think banana boy means Hydrogen Peroxide 3% or 6% solution in water which is availbe in a LOT of stores.

·
Registered
512 Posts
bj,

something to keep in mind ,that humidity is a BIG factor in cooling any internal combustion engine. With the nasty hot temps lots of the country has been having,,any bike is going to show somewhat higher temp levels when idling at stops signs only.
Providing your friends gl1500 never gets up 'into the red zone' on the temp gauage i wouldn't worry about it.
My first wing I had an gl1100,the cooling fans i bet would only kick on about 3 times each riding season, The humidity had to be very high,,as well as temps almost 95 sitting in traffic,,,but the fans would eventually kick on,,once the temp gauge was almost to the red!
as long as the temp gauge is at about 1/3rd gauge range while cruising,,i would say everything is a-ok on his wing.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Some good advice above RE getting the Love Bugs out of the fins, I didna know 6% hydrogen peroxide was available to general public; that is strong enough to burn you and bleach your skin white. We use 7% as a sterilant for heat sensitive medical instruments. Either 2% or 3% will melt the shellac in bugs pretty quick.

Hard water in Florida, right? Be a good idea to use a commercially avaialble radiator flush agent such as Prestone Super Flush (citric acid) and distilled water to make sure all th passages are cleared and corrosion quelled. Then flush that out with distilled water before installing pre-mixed Honda coolant from auto dealership. No tap water!

All in all, the way you describe the "problem", there may be no problem other than you say it is different than how it once was.

prs

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
without running down to the garage to check the bottle, I was using the standard peroxide for home use on boo boos. I think it is only 1%. it did a great job of cleaning bugs our of the radiators on my 1800 after 94k miles. I won't wait that long for the next time.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
bj,

something to keep in mind ,that humidity is a BIG factor in cooling any internal combustion engine. With the nasty hot temps lots of the country has been having,,any bike is going to show somewhat higher temp levels when idling at stops signs only.
Providing your friends gl1500 never gets up 'into the red zone' on the temp gauage i wouldn't worry about it.
My first wing I had an gl1100,the cooling fans i bet would only kick on about 3 times each riding season, The humidity had to be very high,,as well as temps almost 95 sitting in traffic,,,but the fans would eventually kick on,,once the temp gauge was almost to the red!
as long as the temp gauge is at about 1/3rd gauge range while cruising,,i would say everything is a-ok on his wing.

take care,
bc
WHAT??
Humidity has nothing to do with the engine temperature, what are you smokin'..:?:

Same thing with 'wind chill factor"..

later..randy

·
Registered
792 Posts
Have him check the radiator before he starts it, check the radiator not the reservoir. The system was drianed for the new waterpump and possible has air trapped in it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
inthewind,,,

i beg to differ,,,, humidity chokes down an internal combustion engine big time...it effects the way the engine cools in return,,,ever go to any drag races,,, any engine tuner is always checking humidity to re-sync,,,injection,,blower etc... not just ambient temp,,,
try and pull a plane off a 2000ft runway at 100 dgrees 60% humidity,,,then let the humidity hit 90% at hight noon,,,and do the same,,,same effect on any bike in regards to 'light/heavy air...
heavy air,,,,,,hack,,hack,,,,
take a look at your dog,,, in 100%,,,humidity,,,tongue on the ground...:)

bc

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
inthewind,,,

i beg to differ,,,, humidity chokes down an internal combustion engine big time...it effects the way the engine cools in return,,,ever go to any drag races,,, any engine tuner is always checking humidity to re-sync,,,injection,,blower etc... not just ambient temp,,,
try and pull a plane off a 2000ft runway at 100 dgrees 60% humidity,,,then let the humidity hit 90% at hight noon,,,and do the same,,,same effect on any bike in regards to 'light/heavy air...
heavy air,,,,,,hack,,hack,,,,
take a look at your dog,,, in 100%,,,humidity,,,tongue on the ground...:)

bc
Ok, I agree with airplane lift, tuning an engine, but I thought you were talking about engine temperature in your OP.

later..Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts