GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Wing has 99,000 miles on it, I lost my altenator at 89,000 n if I had known my water pump was going to fail then I would have replaced it then.n I kept finding coolant and could not find any leaks anywhereon any hose connection I could see so I pulled the tank and the waterpump and it was what was leaking, the o ring that seals the crancase was bad and leaking oil also. Ordered the waterpump from directline parts last thursday which I recieved last night. Along with a coolant tank. I pulled the tank to clean an found what looks like a crack on the bottom. I decided to change all the rest of the fluids while its up in the air, and change out the rubber since the Kuhmo was about shot and the BT was cupped bad on the front. I also changed out the rear Disk since it was worn out. I have a complete rear end from a buddy who triked out his Wing. I just got finished vacuming out the cooling system It held a vac for 30 Min so I think its good n tight let it suck the new honda fluid in and fired it up let it heat up, new tires are on rims dynabeads are in tires are mounted all bolts are torqued, pads looked good n although I bought new pads there wasnt much wear compaired to the new pads. Jus need to put the tupperware back on will finish it up in morn All in all it was a good day n bike should be good for another 99,000

Ron

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Ya gotta love it!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FInally Got all the tupperware back on the bike, Took it out for a spin, no leaks, temp stable n with the new rubber on ride is smooth as glass, ready for my trip to Knoxville next week Leavin on the 4th returning on the 8th lookin forward to some great roads in the Smokys

·
Registered
100 Posts
Deck you guys have a good ride to Knoxville and be safe. Thought that we might see you at Cobra's fireworks. SF Grizz

·
Vendor
18,098 Posts
The repair of Honda's does get expensive when not maintained as required. Honda spells out the minimum requirements so clearly in the owners literature and so often are not followed. They even dedicate a page to why it is needed.

Here is the link for a get togethe during WingDing for anyone on the board wanting to get together.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286007

wimpyhonda needs a head count

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you infering that I didnt take care of my bike, The water pump was changed out under warrenty when the bike had 2000 miles on it If anything it was defective from the factory as the dealership stated that the 03s had a bad batch of waterpumps go bad. and it was replaced with one from 03. fluid was comming from the weephole. so besides changing the fluids what other maintenance do you recommend that should have been acomplished to prevent this water pump failure?

I will Inform you that I Changed fluids every 2 years this included draining and replacing coolant. And what maintenance is to be done on the altenator? From reading the back posts its common for the altenator to fail at around 89,000 miles in which it did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts