GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my trip to see my Dad I ran into awful winds, like I had never been in before... Actually blew my BBQ grill over(at home) .... I think I would rather ride in Heavy Rain... The wind was Horrible....

Matt(BCNV) :eek:4:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome to the wild, wild west! The Las Vegas valley is very, very windy. I caught 60 MPH winds coming down from Mesquite last May and they got worse as I pulled into north Las Vegas on I-15. The mountains on the north, west and south form a horseshoe that redirects winds across the Sierra Nevada and pushed them down into the Valley's bowl like shape. My duaghter flies in and out of McCarren Airport for U.S. Airways. Lots of takeoffs and landings have been very challenging.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I vote on rain over wind :thumbup:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Better get used to them. Hardly a trip goes by out here that the ride isn't influenced by the wind. Its especially interesting during the summer months when the thermals will hit you from one side then the other just when you've compensated for the first.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Matt, Trim that mustache...it will cut down on the wind resistance.....:lol: :doorag: :thumbup: :a13:

Mark

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt, Trim that mustache...it will cut down on the wind resistance.....:lol: :doorag: :thumbup: :a13:

Mark

I never thought of that but last week I had a "trimming " incedent where the right side of my mustache was a little longer than the left... my wing was drifting to the right all day.... I thought it was the road.... better pay more attention, thanks for the heads up!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I live in Cordelia, CA. Everytime I tell someone that, from the Bay area, they say, It get real windy there, doesn't it?", and I say, "Yuppers!"

At least we don't get heavy rain here...

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Rain over wind for me! Lately, it's been 15 to 25 mph with +10 gust.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Las Vegas is either hot and windy
or cold and windy

if the wind stops... it usually means it is October
... October is nice.

There is a big dry lake bed about 6 miles south of Boulder.
Back in the 1990's I used to takes students there for Ultra-Light lessons.
(very small airplanes)...
... often the wind would come up and it would be nearly
impossible to get back to the airport.
If/when I could make it back to the airport,
I could land the Ultra-Light vertically like a helicopter
because usually the wind speed closely matched the Ultra-light speed.

... hope you're enjoying Boulder, I liked it there.

Dennis

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I like the wind and rain, together. Makes for an exciting ride. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I never thought of that but last week I had a "trimming " incedent where the right side of my mustache was a little longer than the left... my wing was drifting to the right all day.... I thought it was the road.... better pay more attention, thanks for the heads up!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV) :22yikes:
I've had that happen to me also...I get the wife to lean the opposite way to compensate....:lol: :eek: ;)

Mark

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The roads out here may be straight, but the wind make them TWISTIES!

you'll get use to it and miss the wind when it is not there :bow: to the Wind Gods

1 - 14 of 14 Posts